Supanet bill....is it a scam?

Options
Hi

A month ago, I helped my retired parents to change their AOL internet account, BT phone and TV to Sky who they already had TV with.

Sky were very efficient and got their part sorted quickly. AOL gave us the MAC code, but when I rang two weeks later to see that the account had been closed they said there was a delay due to the 'system being down' but that they would definitely email to confirm closure.

This morning my parents received a threatening letter from Supanet for £3.48 a month for internet and that they should provide their bank details etc by the 12th of the month or they will be liable for all sorts.

We've never heard of Supanet or ever given them any of our details, so does anyone know if this is a scam. I've told my very worried parents not to phone them or pay anything.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Dont really follow this? Do you think these matters are related? Is supanet something to do with AOL?

Why would they send a threatening letter when they dont even have bank details for an account? Very odd.
  • snowyowl
    snowyowl Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, it's a little confusing, but I just wanted to point out that recently I HAD changed their internet between companies, and that it's not just a bill for internet charges out of the blue.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Supanet are an ISP using adsl technology, they also offer a telephone service as well and they are based in Burnley. As you don't use them for any services I would ignore any communications from Supanet. However rather than have threatening letters and such arrive at your parents home then you need to get unto them and get it sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure