Car Tax Reminder

Options
1235»

Comments

• Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Renew your insurance and go to the post office?

Let the tax disc expire and renew online in a few days.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    It was a problem for me too with my insurance being at the same time as my tax. I had to have a policy on the first day the tax was valid for but even if I'd bought it, it wasn't in force yet so it came up as no insurance - urgh!

I solved that by getting 6 months tax once so it took me out of the cycle. The only other way I can think of doing it is to move your insurance slightly but it'll be a lot of faff and will cost you!
  • jtaylor2008
    jtaylor2008 Posts: 120 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2010 at 12:14PM
    Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Renew your insurance and go to the post office?

Let the tax disc expire and renew online in a few days.

The post office only accepts original certificates and with my insurance, they say they will send one out after the renewal date. Not sure whether it will come in time for me to tax at PO.

If the tax disc expires, how many days can there be without a valid one when kept on the road?
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    If the tax disc expires, how many days can there be without a valid one when kept on the road?

Legally, none! In fact if you don't declare SORN you'll get fined, off road or no.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 October 2010 at 2:37PM
    Options
    Originally Posted by jtaylor2008 viewpost.gif
    Legally, none! In fact if you don't declare SORN you'll get fined, off road or no.

Mark, I believe this is incorrect.
    The law changed,
    see: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10021514
    The important info says:
    If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there’s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.
    Just for further info, I have just renewed my Tax Disc at the Post Office, even tho I would have preferred to be able to do it online. I'm still waiting for the DVLA to respond to my email asking what they are doing to resolve this issue.

jtaylor2008 You should contact your insurer and tell them you need the new certificate of insurance before the end of the month so that you can tax the vehicle. There is no reason why they should not be able to send the certificate a couple of weeks early, MoreThan have just sent mine which covers me from the 30th October.
    If the insurer gives you any excuses, tell them you will go to another company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure