Car Tax Reminder

Options

Comments

• snoman
    snoman Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Followed my insurance company's advice and renewed at the P.O. Dead easy; parked outside and no queue. Quicker than waiting for computer to boot up and then be told by DVLA that I wasn't insured when I was. I paid for 6 months only; next Feb I will be bang in the middle of my insurance cover and then I will restart annual tax disc renewal, with no further hassle (hopefully).
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lil-smeg wrote: »
    Keep your local Post Office going - Re tax at your local one ;)
    My VL PO is full of miserable sods who don't know how to smile so I will carry on buying mine on line and do all my other PO business at the nice happy smiling non-VL PO near to me.
  • AzimScot
    AzimScot Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    What does this mean? I just renewed last month for insurance Mot is still valid until 01/09/10??

SORRY
    MOT Test Certificate could not be found

Sorry, it has not been possible to match the vehicle with a MOT Test Certificate at this time and you are unable to complete your application for a tax disc using this service.

If you have a MOT Test Certificate…
    It appears the vehicle has not yet been updated on the MOT Test Certificate database. You can phone the MOT helpline for information (with permission of the car owner). The telephone number is 0870 606 0440.

If you DON’T have a valid MOT Test Certificate…
    A MOT Test Certificate must be obtained before applying for a tax disc.

This application has been cancelled
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 October 2010 at 1:54PM
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect this two month old thread, but I've just hit the problem where my insurance is due for renewal at the end of this month and my tax disc too.

If the DVLA want everyone to Tax their cars, then why do they make it so difficult to actually renew ???

The Online system checks the MID for the day the tax disc starts from, it should check for valid insurance on the day the tax disc renewal is requested / paid for since a current valid insurance policy shows that the owner has been insured and so is likely to renew their insurance in good time. I now have to endure the hassle of going into the Post Office when online renewal is supposed to be "quicker, easier, and now even more convenient" - according to the leaflet sent by DVLA - obviously NOT the case when insurance renewal is due !

DVLA need to revise their online renewal rules to bring their computer system into the 21st century, there could be 1000's of people who's insurance is due at the same time as their tax disc, all of these people are prevented from using the DVLA Online Tax Disc Renewal System :mad:
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy 6 months tax. Then, from that point on, buy 12 months and you will never have this problem again.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BAA1 wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this two month old thread, but I've just hit the problem where my insurance is due for renewal at the end of this month and my tax disc too.

If the DVLA want everyone to Tax their cars, then why do they make it so difficult to actually renew ???

The Online system checks the MID for the day the tax disc starts from, it should check for valid insurance on the day the tax disc renewal is requested / paid for since a current valid insurance policy shows that the owner has been insured and so is likely to renew their insurance in good time. I now have to endure the hassle of going into the Post Office when online renewal is supposed to be "quicker, easier, and now even more convenient" - according to the leaflet sent by DVLA - obviously NOT the case when insurance renewal is due !

DVLA need to revise their online renewal rules to bring their computer system into the 21st century, there could be 1000's of people who's insurance is due at the same time as their tax disc, all of these people are prevented from using the DVLA Online Tax Disc Renewal System :mad:
    If you go to the Post Office, they will also spot that the insurance will not be valid when the tax starts.
    ...the owner has been insured and so is likely to renew their insurance in good time.
    Doesn't sound like a very robust check to me.
  • System
    Options
    Lum wrote: »
    Buy 6 months tax. Then, from that point on, buy 12 months and you will never have this problem again.

6 months tax costs an extra £18 per annum (£9) which I am not willing to pay just because the DVLA have such a poor system.
    wealdroam wrote: »
    If you go to the Post Office, they will also spot that the insurance will not be valid when the tax starts.

Doesn't sound like a very robust check to me.

When I go to the Post Office I will have the new Insurance documents in hand since I HAVE ALREADY RENEWED.

Any check that DVLA make on the MID is OUT OF DATE the second after the Tax Disc has been issued because the insurance could be cancelled just after getting the Tax Disc.

The Police enforce the insurance traffic laws - not the DVLA

The DVLA are just building hurdles for people who want to lawfully Tax and Insure their cars in good time - not waiting until the last second or having to use the outdated old fashioned Post Office Tax Disc Renewal process :(

The MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau) already know that this issue exists with the DVLA EVL system, but I doubt if they or the DVLA have the will to fix it.

I guess it's the same old story, the few criminals who drive without insurance have made life more difficult for those of us who always abide by the law (Resulting in : More expensive insurance to cover uninsured drivers. AND More hurdles put in place to try to check that everyone has insurance)
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    6 months tax costs an extra £18 per annum (£9) which I am not willing to pay just because the DVLA have such a poor system.

Ok. Take out insurance with whoever gave you the second cheapest quote. Tax your car, then cancel within the 14 day cooling off period and take out insurance with the cheapest.

Only needs to be done once and from then on your insurance will run out after your tax disc.
  • System
    Options
    Ok. Take out insurance with whoever gave you the second cheapest quote. Tax your car, then cancel within the 14 day cooling off period and take out insurance with the cheapest.

Only needs to be done once and from then on your insurance will run out after your tax disc.

Thanks Lum

One way or another I'm going to have to move the renewal date of either the Tax or the Insurance so that this situation doesn't reoccur.
    Or I may wait until I'm due to change my car and I'll make sure that I get it taxed well away from my insurance renewal date, by changing my car around the middle of the year rather than at the end of October ;)
  • jtaylor2008
    Options
    I have a similar question to BAA1. My insurance ends at the end of this month and so does my tax disc.

I also cannot buy 6 months tax due to the car being a small car and no 6 month tax is available. What do I do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure