MSE News: TalkTalk to hike call costs

Options

Comments

• tuggy12
    tuggy12 Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »
    'It means a 60-minute call during the day to a UK landline will cost £3.94 instead of £3.57. Those who make an hour-long daytime call every working day will pay around £100 more a year in increased call and rental charges.'

What a daft way of putting it! So instead of the call time costing 893 quid it will cost 985 quid. As if anyone pays 225 pounds per quarter on their phone bill and doesn't think 'hmmm, maybe I should change my telephone package to one with free minutes???'

Yes, I think the MSE person who wrote that article, Guy Anker, must be very naive if he thinks anybody is stupid enough to pay for calls individually as given in his example.

Surely people who use TalkTalk will suscribe to one of their all inclusive packages, such as "Essentials"

For £22.48 per month with TalkTalk, I currently get included:

Line rental
    Anytime UK landline calls
    Free Broadband (connection never less than 4 meg, usually 5 meg)
    Free 0845 and 0870 numbers
    Free International calls to over 30 countries.

From Oct 1st 2010 the line rental part will be increased by 55p per month ( as passed on from BT who own the lines) making my new monthly payment £23.03

A little different from the sensationalist MSE post. Guy Anker would do well as a journalist with one of the red tops.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    tuggy12 wrote: »

Line rental

Not forgetting the dire TT support help, when and if required.:rotfl:
  • tuggy12
    tuggy12 Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 August 2010 at 5:13PM
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    Not forgetting the dire TT support help, when and if required.:rotfl:

You obviously have issues with TalkTalk that I have not experienced and I have been with them since May 2007.

I had two problems last year 2009, both of which I reported through their Customer Services monitored TalkTalk forum and both problems were resolved in hours as follows:

1) My land line went dead on 08/06/09 and I reported the fault at 1:50pm. At 3:55pm the same day, I was advised there was a fault at my local exchange and that it was being worked on. Later that same evening the fault was rectified and my line was live again.

2) My land line went off on 23/12/09 and I reported the fault at 7:15pm. At 11:02 am on 24/12/09 I was advised there was a line fault and that this had been passed on to BTOR.
    Within minutes a BTOR guy appeared and within 2 hours he found the fault, in a junction box 800 metres from my house and fixed the problem. My line was working again by 1:00pm and remember this was Xmas eve.

Now that's what I call service !!
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 August 2010 at 11:26PM
    Options
    If you use your phone a lot why not just get talkTalk pro?
    I've been on it eight months, I phone my son in America every couple of weeks for an hour or two (recalling just before the 1st hours up). We also call my brother in law in Australia monthly and talk as much as I want with family and friend. Mobile are reasonably priced and the most I've paid was this months at £34. I also get very good internet speed with unlimited usage for that. Thats a lot cheaper then my bt line plus broadband was and the download was a lot slower.
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I think the MSE person who wrote that article, Guy Anker, must be very naive if he thinks anybody is stupid enough to pay for calls individually as given in his example.

Surely people who use TalkTalk will suscribe to one of their all inclusive packages, such as "Essentials"

Line rental

From Oct 1st 2010 the line rental part will be increased by 55p per month ( as passed on from BT who own the lines) making my new monthly payment £23.03

A little different from the sensationalist MSE post. Guy Anker would do well as a journalist with one of the red tops.

If your exchange is unbundled whats BT got to do with the increase, and how do you get things free when you are paying for them.
  • lil_miss_insanity
    Options
    You obviously have issues with TalkTalk that I have not experienced and I have been with them since May 2007.

You are so incredibly lucky. I had 2 months of hell trying to get a phone line with Talk Talk, and it's still not over. Phonecall after phonecall, no callbacks when promised, completely unknowledgeable staff...

One example (typical of about 15-20 or more exchanges with Customer Services): I called after having had no promised callback. They looked into my order and told me that there had been an issue which meant they would have to try place the order again on 11th June. When I pointed out that it was now a week after this, the advisor said she would escalate this to the operations team to ensure it was done now. I was promised a call back with an update. This never happened. A week later, I was told nobody had escalated or, in fact, done anything at all.

I had to chase them every step of the way to do the next step in the process, or action the notes an engineer had put on the account. Then there was a crossed line, and nobody had an idea what to do about it. This was all before I was even in contract!

Now they're raising line rental costs? I can't even put in words... *breathe*
  • bossbee
    Options
    Is anyone else as fed up with talk talk as I am? I have had lots of phone calls trying to cancel the package I never wanted, but still they have carried on and cancelled my Tiscali package for one which is more expensive. They promise to cancel it then don't. I've lost the will to live with all my one and a half hour phone calls to foreigners who don't speak English properly. Does anybody know how to complain to/about them? I'm beside myself with anger, plus out of pocket by pounds every month this goes on. Any ideas much appreciated...
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi RoyBrock7898,

In terms of the line rental increase this would be applicable to all customers.

myself321 - Yes. This change is applicable to customers in contract as price changes are part of the terms and conditions of the service.

lil_miss_insanity - If you register on the TalkTalk Members Forum (http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums) we can investigate into this for you in more detail.

bossbee - In terms of the complaints procedure this can be found in the Code of Practice on the TalkTalk Website http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/code-of-practice/- Alternatively if you register on the Members Forum we can investigate into any issues you have encountered.

Regards

M:)
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • freeoffers
    freeoffers Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    Hi RoyBrock7898,

In terms of the line rental increase this would be applicable to all customers.

This change is applicable to customers in contract as price changes are part of the terms and conditions of the service.
    Not if you're a Tiscali customer who signed a contract for broadband, tv and phone. Now that TT have changed the plan i signed up for its time to leave. Last straw was my DD date changing and only being given 2 weeks notice. Will go back to BT phone and o2 BB.
  • Rustyone_2
    Options
    guys I am confused -

are talk talk allowed to raise prices of unavoidable items (line rental) within my minimum contract term without customers like me having an exit clause to cancel should it be uncompetitive?

surely there must be a limit as to how high they can hike there costs?

apologies if I am asking a stupid question but I dont see how a legally binding contract can just be ammended whenever talk talk see fit?

things like non payment charge etc.. I can understand but to raise the price of line rental without giving customers an option is a bit unfair?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure