Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for my excess dust?

Options

Comments

• ifan.goch
    ifan.goch Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Why are so many of you being so confrontational? Whatever happened to community spirit? Don't forget you have to live next door to this man and surely its better to be on good terms? Why would you "guilt him into feeling bad" by offering to clean his car? As other people have said, it would have been courteous to let him know that you were having work done, as in addition to the dust there would have been a noise issue as well. Please make some peace between you and offer to get the car cleaned.
  • El_Cap
    El_Cap Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Write "cry baby" in the dust on his car.
  • Simon_Milne
    Options
    Your neighbuor is obviously an idiot, i would tell him where to go personally, i cant see anyone anywhere even taking it on, so his photos are worth nothing! I hate people like that, they have nothing better to do than moan about stupid petty things!!!
  • mercmanricky
    Options
    Building dust can easily damage car paintwork and putting it through a car wash would make this even worse. I spend about an hour a week cleaning my car because i've got OCD. haha.

I've learnt many things about how to care for paint and how to damage it.

Don't use any kind of spray attachment on the hose as this will force the dust not only across the paintwork but into it. You want a slow steady flow of water to help the dust slide off the top of the paint.

Ok, i'm getting really nerdy.

I would be upset if my neighbours had covered my car in dust, but they know how silly i am about my car and would definitely warn me about any building work. I agree with many others. If you warned him, then tough luck. If you didn't, you should pay the costs.
  • muskrut
    muskrut Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised you did not offer to clean or just clean the mess without prompt. Rather than wait to be told.

What happened to manners and consideration?

C'mon. Get with it. Wash his car and slip a high street voucher through his letterbox as a way of saying sorry.
  • spcdust
    spcdust Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I've just had building work done on our house and the builder put letters through all the surrounding neighbour's doors a week before commencement of works. He explained where he was working and if they had any issues to call him directly at any time. His attitude was it was good for his business and that any complaints went via him so he could address them directly and not via me, the customer. Seems to be a responsible way to work and the neighbour's appreciated the professionalism.
  • cassie42
    Options
    f4phixeruk wrote: »
    Surely it is up to the contractor doing the driveway to ensure that no one is inconvenienced by the work in progress. Including dust on cars.

Still wouldnt pay for car being hosed down.

Let the contractors or you houseowners public liability insurers sort it out.

Had a little problem recently about something about nothing and I said "ok you feel like that my insurers can sort it out" and he shut up.
  • megwump
    megwump Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I don't really understand the original poster's problem - it's absolutely your responsibility if work you're having done is going to inconvenience others PLUS it's just good manners to keep your neighbours informed and on good terms.

A lot of this situation is dependent upon when the photos were taken - were the OP and neighbour both outside at the time the photos were being taken? The OP obviously saw the photos being taken, why didn't they say something then - 'hi, what's the problem, how can I help, sorry for the inconvenience' or something along that line.

There wasa lot of hedge cut down and a fence erected next to where I park my car recently (I live in a small block of 20ish flats and we have a ground floor car park) and all the residents, whether they park near the fence or not, were advised of the work and people were encouraged to park in other places or take their car out of the car park during that time to avoid damage. Everyone was very considerate about it and it makes for much nicer living circumstances.

The OP should ask how the neighbour is getting on *before* the work is finished, apologise for not having told them in advance and offer to give them £5 (or whatever the going rate is) for them to arrange for the car to be cleaned at their own convenience.
    In and out of debt since 2001. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks.

August 2017:
    Personal CC: £6150 Modest goal: July 2020
    Shared CC: £8600 Goal: December 18
  • cassie42
    Options
    Hi

I was in similar situation this winter thereby heavy compacted ice and snow from a house roof fell onto my car damaging the bonnet. Both of their cars were hit quite badly and a window was put out. Have I any rights?

Regarding the dust.. (and poss my case).. isnt it a case of 'prove it!'

Regards
    RichT:)

If this was a one off no but had It happened before it is down to the house owner to ensure the snow will not damage property or cause any injury.
    A guard by the gutter can be fitted and anyone who has a conservatory should also have one.
  • JoannaS_3
    JoannaS_3 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, I think if you warned your neighbour about having your drive done then you don't have anything to worry about.

If you didn't warn all your neighbours who could be affected then you are liable for the dust. I definately wouldn't give him any money but offer to 'rinse' the car for him but state that is all you are prepared to do. If he declines then it's his problem. There's always going to be someone in our lives who causes us more trouble then is necessary but all you can do is be as nice as possible as he won't know how to deal with that and like someone else has said, he wants a confrontation with you.

I hope this can be a lesson to all of us who are neighbours about how to save ourselves problems when doing work to our properties that could affect others!!
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure