Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for my excess dust?

Comments

• dave2
    dave2 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My mum's neighbour was having an extension done and despite (or because of?) it being a very friendly street who aren't bothered about that kind of thing he was careful to knock on doors hand-delivering a letter to discuss it in advance, and he also paid the council to come and sweep the street daily - though I think the latter he was required to do, probably by the council.

Your neighbours actions seem petty and frankly the photos are a bit bizarre (maybe just for a moan on Facebook?) but personally I'd be seeing the dust as a result of my work and arranging for a cleaning. This is a trivial expense for keeping good relations with your neighbours.
  • Just seconding the advice 'serious_ saver' offered. I couldn't have put it better myself!
    Just a word, it's generally easier to deal with unreasonable people and their demands if you are on the 'Moral High Ground' as you obviously are. Another tip, a cuppa or cold drink for the workmen will maybe give them an idea to clear up after themselves and this would also help.:A
    Wish I could get our teeny driveway done but too much else takes precedence!!!

good luck with your ( jealous?) neighbours Paddy
  • Hi

I was in similar situation this winter thereby heavy compacted ice and snow from a house roof fell onto my car damaging the bonnet. Both of their cars were hit quite badly and a window was put out. Have I any rights?

Regarding the dust.. (and poss my case).. isnt it a case of 'prove it!'

Regards
    RichT:)
    RichT
  • Innys
    Innys Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Hi

I was in similar situation this winter thereby heavy compacted ice and snow from a house roof fell onto my car damaging the bonnet. Both of their cars were hit quite badly and a window was put out. Have I any rights?

Regarding the dust.. (and poss my case).. isnt it a case of 'prove it!'

Regards
    RichT:)

"prove it" shouldn't be that difficult, if the neighbour really wants to labour the point.

To be honest, I'd be a bit !!!!ed off as I tend to keep my car clean and don't relish it becoming messy when it could be avoided. Having said that, if the neighbour had bought a car cover, it wouldn't have been an issue, but why should he?
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    I'd be annoyed if you hadn't even had the courtesy to tell me first, and my car was covered in dust.

Maybe as payback I'd wait for you to put your washing out or have a party in your garden, and I'd start a bonfire and burn laods of old plastic bags.
  • I posted early this morning, and having just read all the following posts, I've not changed my stance.

All this rubbish about getting his car washed for him?

Oh, BTW, there's dust on all my house windows and it may also have damaged my lawn and plants . . .

Get real, if he was driving along a motorway in the rain and a large works lorry overtook him, throwing up all kinds of **** in his slipstream all over his car, would he get the name of the company and ask for a car wash??

Well, HE probably would!
  • taxing
    taxing Posts: 155 Forumite
    Oh dear; how to make friends and influence people, in one easy lesson! (Your new neighbour - not you).

Maybe he had a bad experience at his last address?

Think it's a bit out of order really, unless you also have a car repair shop; illicit drug dealing; cannabis farm etc etc on the go, too.:D

Could turn into a form of bullying so be careful - what if next he doesn't like you brushing your driveway because it creates dust. :o

Yes, apologise, but the point made above about 'improving' the neighbourhood with your nice cleaned up driveway does seem a factor to bring in to all this.

Some people should be banished to live in 'splendid' isolation! Suggest this to your new neighbour when next he calls.....:T
  • If you knew it was going to be a dusty job, it may have been courteous to warn him and give him a chance to move his car, but if you didn't know, then I think its just one of those unfortunate things that happens when we don't live in the middle of nowhere and have to tolerate the ups and downs of neighbourly life! My neighbours are always burning stuff on their barbecue and making my washing stink; its irritating that they don't warn me when they're getting their fires started so that I have a chance to bring my washing in, but I wouldn't dream of demanding payment to rewash everything! Your neighbour sounds like a regular pain in the garden path!
  • antonia1
    antonia1 Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post
    I posted early this morning, and having just read all the following posts, I've not changed my stance.

All this rubbish about getting his car washed for him?

Oh, BTW, there's dust on all my house windows and it may also have damaged my lawn and plants . . .

Get real, if he was driving along a motorway in the rain and a large works lorry overtook him, throwing up all kinds of **** in his slipstream all over his car, would he get the name of the company and ask for a car wash??

Well, HE probably would!

What is the dust has actually damaged his car? Unlikely with most dust, but from building works it can be pretty abrasive.
    :A If saving money is wrong, I don't want to be right. William Shatner

CC1 [STRIKE] £9400 [/STRIKE] £9300
    CC2 [STRIKE] £800 [/STRIKE] £750
    OD [STRIKE] £1350 [/STRIKE] £1150
  • My God, didn't the contractor erect a dust-proof envelope around your drive?
    Seriously, go rent the biggest PA you can and have a kick-!!! party all weekend (not late, just loud)
    Fireworks at 10.59 as well :)
    I thought I was a Money Saving Expert - then someone pointed me at Martin Lewis! Now THERE's an expert!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure