Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for my excess dust?

1121314151618»

Comments

• Ignore the idiot, let him complain he will get nowhere, it is him who will die of stress, if all he has to worry about is a bit of dust, he is a very sad man.
    Couldn't agree more Dave. Sums up the whole sorry scenario and the way this country is going with the 'must get something for nothing brigade.'
  • rogerj
    rogerj Posts: 39 Forumite
    Initial reaction... What a prat!

If you're on legal aid or have insurance against litigation tell him to seek recompense through the courts. Otherwise ask your builder to run the hosepipe over it.

Another thought... if you improve the external appearance of your house doesn't it reflect on the value of the neighbours property as well. He should be pleased.
  • Dave420uk wrote: »
    if your doing it yourself then you MUST either clean it or pay for it to be cleaned, end of! your dust you created it.

if however you have a contractor in...

tell your neighbour while you sympathize with him and his issue, he must take it up with the contractors, and tell your contractor he's upsetting your nieghbour.

tradesmen normally clean up after themselfs right?, if i had a joiner come and fit a new door would he leave wood shavings on the floor for me to clean up?

if say my window cleaner dropped his ladder and it hit next doors car... would i have to pay for it?

if my decorator dropped a can of paint in the street and it spilt on his drive or splashed his car... would i have to pay or remove it myself?

i would say not!

a while ago we had an extension built we obtained all the required planning permits etc and informed our adjacent nieghbour of the work to be done ,we warned them that due to it being a first storey extension the build may well block there satelite dish reception and if it did we would happily pay for the dish to be relocated. we also took a case of good wine around to them to apologise up front for any dust or noise problems etc which will happen during the build. they took the wine and were happy with the dish arrangement and seemed happy to accept that some level of dust and noise was ok..But on the very first day of the build the scaffolding contractor built the scaffold with one supporting leg just over the garden fence onto there garden. i was out at work when this was done, when i returned home and noticed this i went straight round to my nieghbour to apologise, but was amazed to be given a solicitors letter telling me to stop any further work on the build until the builders trespass onto there land has been resolved to there satisfaction. Ok i said you best take this up with the building contractor its there scaffold infact until the build is done they have full control of the construction area . they still drank the wine and i did pay for the dish moving . but they still remained friends which is the most important thing
  • oh my gosh! what a palaver over a bit of dust. if you park your car outside, you have to be prepared for it to get dusty/dirty etc. what if a pigeon had pooed on it, would he be demanding payment off the pigeon?

people round our way are always having bonfires/barbeques in the day, when my washing is on the line, despite it being a smoke-free zone, but do i go marching round there demanding payment for my washing to be re-done? no - i choose to hang it outside, so i put up with it.

you could offer to hose the car down for him, or if you have kids, get them to wash it for him, but i can't imagine he seriously thinks he's going to get cash for it!!!
  • p_rushby wrote: »
    a while ago we had an extension built we obtained all the required planning permits etc and informed our adjacent nieghbour of the work to be done ,we warned them that due to it being a first storey extension the build may well block there satelite dish reception and if it did we would happily pay for the dish to be relocated. we also took a case of good wine around to them to apologise up front for any dust or noise problems etc which will happen during the build. they took the wine and were happy with the dish arrangement and seemed happy to accept that some level of dust and noise was ok..But on the very first day of the build the scaffolding contractor built the scaffold with one supporting leg just over the garden fence onto there garden. i was out at work when this was done, when i returned home and noticed this i went straight round to my nieghbour to apologise, but was amazed to be given a solicitors letter telling me to stop any further work on the build until the builders trespass onto there land has been resolved to there satisfaction. Ok i said you best take this up with the building contractor its there scaffold infact until the build is done they have full control of the construction area . they still drank the wine and i did pay for the dish moving . but they still remained friends which is the most important thing

not sure i'd want to remain friends with people who took my wine and my money and then presented me with a solicitor's letter!!
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cars get dirty.. wash them end of lol
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • plimsoll
    plimsoll Posts: 153 Forumite
    Dave420uk wrote: »
    tradesmen normally clean up after themselfs right?, if i had a joiner come and fit a new door would he leave wood shavings on the floor for me to clean up?

probably....
  • It would have been neighbourly to let next door neighbours know what was going on in advance but some newcomer across the street? What is it that people have with their cars, they are only inanimate lumps of metal that usually manage to convey us in relative comfort to work or pleasure activities. Had I been prevented from working in my garden due to excessive dust causing me discomfort I would then have moaned but probably only to myself. I'm a being not an object like a car. The dust wouldn't stop the car from performing it's function or cause any permanent damage.
    I wouldn't offer to do anything to remove the dust a) it means you accept liability b) with a person like that you could end up deeper in the mire.The neighbour needs the hose pipe to cool him down. I think I may have quietly said "I am sorry you feel that way because I was hoping to welcome you to the road...you've saved me the bother now".
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 696
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think you should have advised all near neighbours of both the noise and the dust that they would have to endure BEFORE any work commenced on the driveway.

Hoswever, it seems you didn't but in the continued interest of good neighbourliness, I would apologise profusely and offer to pay for a run through at your nearest car wash for him.

Even the most thorough wash programme shouldn't cost more than a tenner.

But it does make me wonder if there are any other neighbours cars nearby that might also have suffered - and what about their house windows? It could get out of hand if everyone came over complaining and hoping for a handout for free car and window washes ...
  • It's a tricky one....

I think you should have told him before you started, having said that, the impact of dust in neighborughs cars isn't something I would have thought of when arranging to get the drive re-done (I know now), so I can understand what to do now.

I think the answer all depends on how well you know your neighbor, I would ask why he would like to achieve. But if he's a bit tricky pay a couple of kids to clean his car (I think it's a bit weird giving him £5 for a car wash). Besides, if he washes his car every week, why does it matter. If he never washes his car, it doesn't matter either! Jokers these days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure