🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

If I leave BT do I lose my BT email?

Options
I'm with BT but thinking of leaving soon. If I leave will I still have use of my @btinternet.com email address? I use this heavily and don't really want to lose it.

Thanks

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a good question. My other half has a unique email address on the btinternet.com domain and it would be nice if he could keep it.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, if you are no longer their customer they will cancel your email address the day the service stops.

Have you considered getting something like a gmail address?
    ====
  • gazzak_2
    gazzak_2 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Yes, if you are no longer their customer they will cancel your email address the day the service stops.

Have you considered getting something like a gmail address?

Yes I have a gmail address, but to put everything over to it and confirm would take ages. I use it for banking, paypal, ebay, forums etc etc etc. There must be a way of keeping it activated or forwarding all emails for a time, surely?
  • martind511
    Options
    Ummm we cancelled our BT Broadband back in February this year and switched to O2 broadband. We still kept our btinternet email addresses - we simply got a message when we next logged in saying that instead of 10 email addresses we got 5.

However, I would recomend getting a googlemail (or gmail as it will be known soon) address as this will 'hoover' the emails out of your btinternet account and drop them into the googlemail account (just in case bt ever decide to switch your btinternet account off).

HTH
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you set up a rule on BT web mail to forward any emails to gmail (or indeed, our new o2 email addresses)?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • martind511
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Can you set up a rule on BT web mail to forward any emails to gmail (or indeed, our new o2 email addresses)?

I've had a look online and can't seem to find a way of autoforwarding emails from BT unless you have outlook running with a rule - I would highly recomend googlemail as it has all the tools to collect your email from multiple accounts and is service provider agnostic so no matter which provider you have, you don't need to change your email address.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gazzak wrote: »
    Yes I have a gmail address, but to put everything over to it and confirm would take ages. I use it for banking, paypal, ebay, forums etc etc etc. There must be a way of keeping it activated or forwarding all emails for a time, surely?

It's probably a couple of hours work to set up gmail and change your email defaults on the various accounts, and you only have to do it once, then you can change ISP's as often as you like.
    If not, then you are going to be stuck with BT forever. It's your choice.:D
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • kirstyjessen
    Options
    Hi there

I left bt 2 years ago and still have my btinternet.com address.
    ***wishes people would give advice required on these boards rather than just being mean to everyone ****
  • gazzak_2
    gazzak_2 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi there

I left bt 2 years ago and still have my btinternet.com address.

Thank You kirstyjessen, that has put my mind at ease :D.
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Officially when you leave BT internet your old @btinternet addresses will stay active provided you 'dial in' every 3 months, or pay £1.50 per month (forget what the name of that is, but you will find it somewhere in the BT help). In practice as kirstyjessen says many btinternet addresses are still working several years later without doing either of these. You will of course need to send outgoing emails via your new ISPs SMTP server (or send them via BTinternet webmail).

But setting up a gmail address or even better getting yourself a domain name means that you will be independent of whatever ISP you are using, once you have got people to use the new address - which is not really a big issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport