Why do I keep getting my application declined

Options
Wonder if anyone can help me out here, I have some debts accross 4 credit cards and I would like to transfer the debt on 3 of the cards accross to another card and take advantage of a 0% balance transfer rate but I have now applied for 3 seperate cards and all have declined me, I have applied to Virgin, RBS & Halifax.

I have checked my credit report and paid a little history to get a more detailed report with my actual credit score and now I am even more confused, nothing has shown up really, credit score is slap bang in the middle of good and I don't really have any areas of concern apart from a couple of missed payments over a year ago which were settled straight away! What other criteria to credit card companies look at that may be affecting my applications?

I am also now very concerned that my credit rating has been affected by these 3 rejections.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is your outstanding balances and what is your income?

And stop applying for a few months or you will make things worse, and never pay for a credit reference agencies 'score'....it means nothing
  • dawn-c
    dawn-c Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have £4000 to transfer from 3 cards to 1, I earn about £38k a year. Definately going to stop applying for a little while but it's just frustrating paying interest.
  • stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Options
    I think that the missed payments might have something to do with you being declined...
  • dawn-c
    Options
    Really! 2 missed payments over a year ago, all payments before and since then have been on time by direct debit :think:
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The cards you've applied for are fairly strict, and search Experian.

The Creation Card is credit scored fairly laxly, and searches Equifax not experian like the other three did. Ergo, it won't impact your score applying for it, when you do they won't see the other three applications, and you stand a better chance of approval due to their lax criteria:

http://www.your-application.co.uk/netfinancecertegymicrosite/creation/Welcome.aspx

Bet you they give you one!

And remember to include the details of the transfers you want to make on the application to ensure you're given enough of a credit limit.

I'll wait for you to come back to say you've been accepted :p They hand out credit like candy!
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • dawn-c
    Options
    izools wrote: »
    The cards you've applied for are fairly strict, and search Experian.

The Creation Card is credit scored fairly laxly, and searches Equifax not experian like the other three did. Ergo, it won't impact your score applying for it, when you do they won't see the other three applications, and you stand a better chance of approval due to their lax criteria:

Bet you they give you one!

And remember to include the details of the transfers you want to make on the application to ensure you're given enough of a credit limit.

I'll wait for you to come back to say you've been accepted :p They hand out credit like candy!

application for the creaton card doesn't show the 0% on balance transfers on the credit agreement, havn't signed and put the application in yet, shows 16.9%!! Is the 0% only for certain customers?
  • stephane_2
    Options
    No it is for everyone, the 16.9% is typical apr, you will know exactly what apr they'll give you once you've been accepted
  • dawn-c
    Options
    Ok, thank you all for your help, waiting for them to get back to me now with their decision, will be sure to come back and say thanks if they give me some candy :)
  • stephane_2
    Options
    Did you get 7/10 days message?
  • dawn-c
    Options
    stephane wrote: »
    Did you get 7/10 days message?
    Yes, is that a bad thing?
This discussion has been closed.