Free solar panel discussion

Options

Comments

• M4ximillion
    Options
    JenR8 wrote: »
    Exactly what we asked! But the rep assured us it was to 'secure a survey' and would be returned to us later.

That sounds like a load of 'knaw' to me, would run a mile from that one:(
  • Mcfi5dhc
    Mcfi5dhc Posts: 323 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2010 at 3:43PM
    Options
    Another one joins the list, this time a little different, Wrexham Council in North Wales

http://www.seedol.com/20104098-solar-energy-for-wrexham-council-finalized.html

Essentially, they'll fit them to 3,000 council homes which face in the right direction, and reap the FIT (if there is any left)

So, they join:
    A Shade Greener
    British Gas
    Scottish & Southern Energy
    HomeSun
    Isis Solar

So, very area specific, but if you live in Wrexham, and are in a council house, these will land on a roof near you soon. Not sure if you can object if you don't like it or not, but can't see many complaining
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Mcfi5dhc wrote: »
    Another one joins the list, this time a little different, Wrexham Council in North Wales

http://www.seedol.com/20104098-solar-energy-for-wrexham-council-finalized.html

Essentially, they'll fit them to 3,000 council homes which face in the right direction, and reap the FIT (if there is any left)

So, they join:
    A Shade Greener
    British Gas
    HomeSun
    Isis Solar

So, very area specific, but if you live in Wrexham, and are in a council house, these will land on a roof near you soon. Not sure if you can object if you don't like it or not, but can't see many complaining

I like this comment!
    These panels will decrease the homeowners’ electricity bill by 40 percent

well the average bill in UK is 3,300kWh pa, so that means people are expected to use 1,320kWh pa in the house.

However many people use 6,000 to 7,000kWh so they use 2,400kWh upwards!!
  • Elainemary
    Options
    Just make sure you only set fire to your house at night time when the panals are not workingfireman1.gif
    OK I'm sure you think it's funny, but I was seeking info. I doubt if the firemen will care if it's day or night. All they'll see is solar panels and if what I read is true, and if it DOES happen over here, then your house may well burn down. I'm just waiting for " elf 'n' safety" to get themselves involved.:mad:
  • energysavingexp
    Options
    Mcfi5dhc wrote: »

So, they join:
    A Shade Greener
    British Gas
    HomeSun
    Isis Solar

What about Myenergystation
    do they not count?
    Animated_Sun_2.gif
  • M4ximillion
    Options
    Elainemary wrote: »
    OK I'm sure you think it's funny, but I was seeking info. I doubt if the firemen will care if it's day or night. All they'll see is solar panels and if what I read is true, and if it DOES happen over here, then your house may well burn down. I'm just waiting for " elf 'n' safety" to get themselves involved.:mad:

Hello, i remember seeing your question way back and wondered if there was any truth in it as im having panels fitted myself i rang ASG and spoke to one of their Technical guys,John Wade, he said lots of technical stuff that i didnt understand and when i asked him to talk in a language i could understand he basically said that its absolute rubbish what youve been told and someone is trying to wind you up so not to worry:D
  • Mcfi5dhc
    Options
    Hello, i remember seeing your question way back and wondered if there was any truth in it as im having panels fitted myself i rang ASG and spoke to one of their Technical guys,John Wade, he said lots of technical stuff that i didnt understand and when i asked him to talk in a language i could understand he basically said that its absolute rubbish what youve been told and someone is trying to wind you up so not to worry:D

This is probably the article in question:
    http://solarjuice.com/blog/buildings-and-pv/solar-panels-and-fire/

Like M4x above, I think it is a wind up, and even the article above shows that if you have a fire, the fireman will isolate it (you should have a big red & yellow isolator switch where your consumer unit is, which the fire brigade will use).

(by the way, the article believes you'll be generating power in moonlight, and at night via street lights, which is total rubbish)

I have had a house burn down, albeit before the solar panels were fitted. Fire brigade storm in, and have set tasks to do, and one of them was to turn the electric off.

You've got to think about it, if they are happy to fight fires in nuclear power stations, chemical factories etc etc, they'll quite happily put out a fire at your house with or without solar panels.
  • jetski690
    Options
    Reading about the fire situation has reminded me of another question I would like to ask people, With so many expensive solar panels on the roof I can see in the not to distant future solar panels becoming the next nickable lead roof culture, I realise it may not be easy but when has that ever deterred these people with a high value to cash in, anyway does anyone know if they would be covered on their building insurance as a fixture ?
  • Mcfi5dhc
    Options
    jetski690 wrote: »
    Reading about the fire situation has reminded me of another question I would like to ask people, With so many expensive solar panels on the roof I can see in the not to distant future solar panels becoming the next nickable lead roof culture, I realise it may not be easy but when has that ever deterred these people with a high value to cash in, anyway does anyone know if they would be covered on their building insurance as a fixture ?

Mine are insured with the Pru, no hassle. Year before with the AA, £10 extra, no hassle

In my situation, nicking them wouldn't be such a bad thing, as long as I got a payout...
  • Nang
    Nang Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    For the folk who are new to this I thought it might be useful to sum up my conclusions on domestic solar power in the UK, based on my experience and the data i have collected so far.

If you own a house with a south facing roof (not shaded) big enough for 4 kw PV, there's a good chance its worth £22500 in fits to you or someone else, over a 25 year period. But to release that cash you are going to need to dosh out about £15k up front. If you dont have £15k you can give your roof to someone else in exchange for some free elect (but no one currently knows what this is worth).

Also the legalities of lending your roof to someone else are a bit leading edge and therefore a bit risky.

But for folk who had always wanted solar panels and who think that could get the max out of the free elect, i.e cooking whilst its sunny, switching the immersion heater on in the hotwater tank before the gas heats it etc (again if its sunny), it might still be attractive.

Andy..
    Follow the progress of 7 domestic arrays at :- http://www.uksolarcasestudy.co.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure