ISA or Index Tracker

Options
I wonder if anyone can help me. I currently save around £100.00 per month in an ISA and another £100.00 in another account. I want to invest another £100.00 per month into an Index tracker. Does a tracker produce more than an Isa or should I utilise my ISA and just put £3,000 a year into that to make use of it. I do not want an ISA Tracker but I would like to invest in a Tracker itself but not if the interest equates to less than an ISA.
All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]

Comments

• leaphaze
    leaphaze Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I assume when you say you have an ISA you're referring to a cash ISA.

A Cash ISA is just a savings a/c where interest is paid tax free. The risk to your capital is minimal, unless the institution running the Cash ISA goes belly-up. The interest rate is stated and you get your interest monthly or yearly.

A Tracker, however, just tracks a bucket of shares on the stockmarket, either here, or abroad. With a tracker there is no guarantee on return, and you could get back less than you put in, if you choose the wrong stockmarket index to track. But you may get a better return than a cash ISA.

So it's a question of risk.
    Wearing my other one today.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I do not want an ISA Tracker but I would like to invest in a Tracker itself but not if the interest equates to less than an ISA.

So you want a plain unit trust or OEIC but not an ISA UT or ISA Oeic even though you have the allowance to do it. Why?

As for return, who knows. Over 5 years active funds and cash deposits have beaten trackers but over 10 years trackers have been best. Its all a matter of how long you intend to save for and what the purpose of the money is.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure