MSE News: Hope for late tax credit renewals

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Payment of benefits may not automatically stop if people missed Saturday's deadline ..."

Read the full story:
Hope for late tax credit renewals

OfficialStamp.gif
«1

Comments

  • alanamyles
    alanamyles Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I seriously don't EVER want to call that helpline again, after spending almost £60 on unsuccessful attempts to get through to a human at the end of last week.

    Still, it's good to know there is the chance our credits will not automatically stop. Yes, admittedly I shouldn't have left it until the last week to put in my renewal. But it doesn't excuse the fact that there are probably thousands more who had done the same and were unable to get through on an insufficient system.
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When did you get your renewal forms sent out to you? When the HMRC is planning their staffing levels for the renewal period, can you imagine how hard it is for them to guess how many people will ignore it until the last moment? They started sending out renewal packs a couple of months ago, and from posts on here, they were somewhat staggered. I assume that was so that they could hope that the recipients of the benefits would respond as and when they received their packs, which in itself, would've eliminated the problems in the last week? You don't HAVE to call the helpline, you can simply fill out the forms and send them back right?
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    I totally agree. For those who had returned forms and they had got lost in the system so needed to get through on the 'phone-yes I can understand that. But there is no real excuse for the thousands who seem to wait until the very last few days/hours to try to get through-every year.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • alanamyles
    alanamyles Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    AnxiousMum wrote: »
    When did you get your renewal forms sent out to you? When the HMRC is planning their staffing levels for the renewal period, can you imagine how hard it is for them to guess how many people will ignore it until the last moment?

    I honestly would have preferred to do this by post (as I have for the past few years) but due to personal circumstances and lots of moving around I hadn't received the forms in the post and wasn't able to even get all my documents together until the last minute.

    A few weeks ago I'd called to explain about this and find out if I needed a new form but was assured I could do this over the phone, provided it was before the cut off date, hence the "last minute" calls.

    It was unusual for me to be this late honestly, and I completely agree that we shouldn't leave it until the last minute. I certainly won't leave it late again to the point of handing in my renewal in person rather than trying to call!
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    alanmyles, I think you are a pretty good example of someone who couldn't help being late- it's those who just can't be bothered and leave it until the last minute for no good reason that I have difficulty undesratnding-after all there is every incentive to sort this out as it generally means you get money out of the government!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • toonbaz
    toonbaz Posts: 204 Forumite
    the forms started going out as soon as the tax yr started in april and were staggered over 3 months.
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    alanamyles wrote: »
    I honestly would have preferred to do this by post (as I have for the past few years) but due to personal circumstances and lots of moving around I hadn't received the forms in the post and wasn't able to even get all my documents together until the last minute.

    A few weeks ago I'd called to explain about this and find out if I needed a new form but was assured I could do this over the phone, provided it was before the cut off date, hence the "last minute" calls.

    It was unusual for me to be this late honestly, and I completely agree that we shouldn't leave it until the last minute. I certainly won't leave it late again to the point of handing in my renewal in person rather than trying to call!

    Glad they were helpful to you - and yes, can see then why you had to wait to do it. But.......how many thousands are complaining they couldn't get through in the last few days, but have no valid reason other than putting it off day after day, which made it hard for the legitimate late renewers to get through! Hope you got yours sorted in the end :)
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Just out of interest, I got through really quickly (call was answered straight away once I was passed the automated bit) one evening last week. Was plesantly surprised.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    SuziQ wrote: »
    I totally agree. For those who had returned forms and they had got lost in the system so needed to get through on the 'phone-yes I can understand that.
    Hopefully "the system" in this case does not involve all their usual mail. My last letter took over a month to turn round :-)

    Personally if I had to renew Tax Credits I would do it on the phone, despite the problems people have had.
  • I dont get it, why leave it until the last day to try and get through!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards