request to cancel the transaction

This is a new one for me

I bought an item and the seller has sent me a request to cancel the transaction, the reason is that she will lose money by selling to me at this price!

i was under the impression that a seller shouldn't start a bid under the amount they'd be prepared to sell for?

Would appreciate your opinions please.

Comments

• cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Refuse the cancellation. then the seller has to pay Final value fees and you can still leave feedback warning other buyers.

The seller was stupid not starting at a price they were willing to accept. 99p start auction by any chance.
  • stsarina
    stsarina Posts: 263 Forumite
    That's their problem, not yours! Unfortunately, whatever you do I doubt very much you will receive the item. Refuse her request and lodge an 'item not received' dispute if indeed you find she does not dispatch it, then the money will be refunded to you if you paid by Paypal, and she will receive a strike against her account.

You are quite right, she should have started it higher or set a reserve if she did not want it to sell below a specific value, tough luck!
    Team Pink! Baby girl due 25/5/14
  • Buggles
    Buggles Posts: 333 Forumite
    Definately don't cancel! If they dont send the item, they are in trouble so it is there problem not yours!
  • tiamaria
    tiamaria Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks for replies, I don't think the final value fees will upset her - the item went not much more than £1! Admittedly it probably should have sold for a lot more.

If I neg her and then cancel the transaction will the neg remain? She's obviously not going to send it anyway
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    tiamaria wrote: »
    thanks for replies, I don't think the final value fees will upset her - the item went not much more than £1! Admittedly it probably should have sold for a lot more.

If I neg her and then cancel the transaction will the neg remain? She's obviously not going to send it anyway

Ignore the cancellation and just leave the feedback you feel relevant.

I take it you did pay? If not, then pay and let her refund otherwise you risk a NPB.
  • tiamaria
    no i haven't paid yet:o
  • theonlywayisup
    Although you may not want to, you need to pay. If you don't then the seller can file a NPB, two of those and you effectively cannot buy anything on Ebay, plus any negative you leave may be removed.

If you do pay and they don't deliver, you will get all your money back from Paypal, but it may take 10-14 days.

Or, you agree to the mutual and leave no feedback, but move on from there.
  • tiamaria
    Cheers I'll do that - it's not a lot of cash to risk
  • theonlywayisup
    tiamaria wrote: »
    Cheers I'll do that - it's not a lot of cash to risk

You won't risk it.

If she/he doesn't send the item, then you file a INR dispute with Paypal (not Ebay) but come back her when you need to do that. Don't worry, you won't lose a penny,. :j
  • tiamaria
    Well have to give her credit, she's sent the item & I see she would have made quite a loss on it, if it were me I think I'd prefer a neg, still a lesson learned for next time to never list an item less than what you're prepared to accept.

Do feel a bit guilty though:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport