Blocked sink

We had a new sink fitted and since its been fitted its been blocked weve tried all sorts of sink unblockers, plungers, pushing things through the pipes etc. We took the pipe off and its not blocked so dont understand why the sinks blocking.

Literally as soon as we run the tap the water starts filling up in the plughole and coming back up into the sink. When we take the pipe off the water seems to be gathering in the "cup" shaped thing on the back of the sink then coming straight back up the plug as opposed to up and then out the waste pipe.

Hope that makes sense, am hoping someone has some idea what could be wrong
Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.

Comments

• Suzy_M
    Suzy_M Posts: 777 Forumite
    Sounds as though the waste outlet may be higher than the waste inlet. Try this link for a better description and illustration.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/howwastetrapswork.htm
  • darkblue_2
    darkblue_2 Posts: 676 Forumite
    ^what he said.

If it was carried out by a tradesman - get them back out!
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2010 at 7:21PM
    yes my sink looks like the 1 in the pic (bottle trap) unfortunately they are no longer trading. the water is just gathering in the end and coming back up into the sink as opposed to into the waste pipe
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • Suzy_M
    Suzy_M Posts: 777 Forumite
    darkblue wrote: »
    ^what he said.

Thanks pal - I know I've never been a girlie girl (explains reasonably good knowledge of maintenance etc.) but I'm not that bad! :laugh:
  • darkblue_2
    SORRY! The name should have been a giveaway, but my eyes are starting to fuzz. MSE forums are addictive.
  • emweaver
    so any ideas how I can fix the problem?
  • darkblue_2
    Sorry to say it may be a case for the tradesman. If it's not worked since installation, it's probably a shoddy job.
  • emweaver wrote: »
    so any ideas how I can fix the problem?

put some pictures up of under your sink with the trap & waste pipes in..
    Not Again
  • Is it just for the sink or do you have appliance on it to like washing machine/dishwasher?
  • emweaver
    its just the sink, i cant get behind there to take a pic as its too close to the wall but its like this

http://pictures.mytub.co.uk/product_images/INSTRUCPDF_1038263_D2.PDF

Except my waste pipe isnt in the wall weve taken that out and it flushes water thro so its not this pipe thats blocked

The water is just gathering in the trap then when the trap is full it all comes back upinto the sink as opposed to going out into the waste pipe, weve took the trap out too and this isnt blocked either
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure