Cancel flight, travel insurance?

Hello,
I know this topic has been covered already but my circumstances are different so have posted a new thread.

I have just come back from holiday in Spain. Yesterday evening my partner received a call to say his mother, who had gone on holiday mountain climbing, had been missing for two days, and there was a search and rescue looking for her. My partner managed to extend our car rental for an extra week so was going to drive to their destination, North Spain, but I had to fly back to the UK today as we had 3 young children and would fly back out to Spain asap with clothes for my partner. The earliest flight I could get was tomorrow morning with Ryanair at 06:55. Obviously I booked this flight and also travel insurance, altogether costing £247.
Thank fully before my flight back to the UK, I received the good news that my partner's mother had been found safe and well, and so no longer need this flight to Spain tomorrow morning.
I have looked on Ryanair's website and have read the terms and conditions where they do not offer a refund and the taxes may be refunded but the administration fee is usually more expensive so they are not refunded either. I have looked in my travel insurance terms and conditions regarding cancelling a flight and my circumstances do not come under this category.
I have no way of contacting Ryanair or the travel insurance company before my flight leaves as it is not office hours.

Do you think the travel insurance would pay out with regards to my circumstances or if there would be any point in chasing Ryanair and see if their good nature kicks in for a refund?

It is alot of money to throw away and I can not rebook the flights for a different day.

Any help greatfully received

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The only hope I can see (and it's a slim one) is that you might get the travel insurance back on the grounds the trip didn't take place. But I doubt it - you presumably had a short period of cancellation cover so had a 'benefit' from it

Ryanair don't have a good nature.
    The reason you cancelled, however you dress it up, is disinclination to travel, which is not an insurable event
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Travel insurance will not pay out because you took it out after your partner's mother had gone missing plus you might not have been covered anyway as its usually limited to illness or death of specified relatives. All you can do is rebook your flights for a later date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure