Options

Comments

• keira_3
    Options
    Emma, I have sent PM but you mailbox is full
  • emma_b_4
    emma_b_4 Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Options
    hi obviosuly peopl have to use their own discretion when writing to ppl.
    but these men have written into dear diedre for penpals as they dont get any mail. i spoke about my OH in my letter so they will know im no bit on the side!

to all those who have pmd me yep my inbox is full but im getting around to it and will pm you soon
    please keep trying ! ive deleted some now
  • Crazyangel
    Options
    What an excellent idea, thanks OP ! :D

Wins : McCains garden games set, 2xTickets to Alton Towers, Links of London friendship bracelet, 2xIdeal Home Show tickets, McFly album CD, Virgin Balloon flight for 2 with a case of ScrumpyJack cider and 2 ltd edition jackets, Powerboat racing experience, £50 Virgin voucher, Aerobie Pro flying ring & Rice Krispie squares, Tesco baby pack
    :j
  • lynsey78
    Options
    My husband is away at the moment with the marines and i send him eblueys and it really does make his day-the situations they are in when in a war situation is awful, hearing from anyone will chear them up... even if its just to let them know what is happening back here in England
    Love my hobby ;-)
  • Snow_Angel
    Options
    I think this is a lovely idea too.

Some ideas for things to write :

Ask them what they miss about home - maybe it's something you can help them with e.g. the local footie scores, what their favourite band are up to - sometimes it could be the most trivial thing you wouldn't think of!

Ask them where their home town is/where they live - then in future letters you can let them know local news from their area (most local newspapers have on-line websites now)

Tell them about yourself, what you do, where you live etc

How about if you're somewhere lovely, write a description of it and put that in the letter. For example last week I took a walk in some national trust woods, the blackberries were ripe, the sun was shinging through the trees.... I could write a nice description of the day that temporarily will take them away from the hell-hole they're in, even for just a minute, and could do wonders for their mental health!

Just some thoughts, I'm sure there's millions more! And if you end up getting on, you can send them snail mail - you can put newspaper clippings in, photos, some decent English tea bags! :rotfl:

And don't get disheartened if they don't write back immediately or suddenly stop for no reason - sometimes they're put on restriction from contacting anyone with no warning at all. This happened to someone I know who was not allowed to contact her partner for 6 weeks and was given no advance notice. God knows what must have happened in his mind for 6 long weeks.

Good luck everyone and I hope you make some great friendships :D
  • emma_b_4
    emma_b_4 Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Options
    i have pmd every1 back who has requested the list as you ca see there are many ppl wanting some1 to write to so tell ya friends!
    i worte to a few yesterday, we will all have to let each other know when we hear anything back, i have had to empty my inbox three times as it was full so i dont know who has the info, pls keep in touch and let me know if you hear anything back!

lots of you are aksing me how to do it ect i just went on that webiste and followed instruaction, i only did it for 1st time myself yesterday x
  • paigesmummy
    Options
    am i being stupid. I recieved the list of names and address and have registered but where do i type my letter etc. I dont understand it. I went into the add address and all you can do is select fro the drop down
  • ^!£$&
    ^!£$& Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Emma Have pmed yah hope you got it thanks
  • ILoveAFreebie
    Options
    emma_b wrote:
    i got a list of ppl who want a penpal and can Pm it

This sounds like a lovely idea. Just out of curiousity, how did you get the list of people who want to be contacted? Is there a list that anyone can find without having to disrupt you? Thanks x
    Don't you just hate long signatures :eek:
  • Fat_Boy
    Fat_Boy Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    Options
    The E-Blueys are a great idea.

When you are stuck thousands of miles away from home the mail is a great morale boost (even more so than e-mails as letters feel more personal).

There will be a lot of very happy troops out in Theatre if you send these out - great thread Emma :)
    FB :heartpuls Wiggly

:j Last Cigarette 24/11/06 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family