PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 6 August 2010 at 12:48PM
    Options
    Hi All!

Yesterday was a NSD - had my tuna mayonnaise bagels and cooked the HM BBQ chicken with coleslaw and basmati rice. It was scrummy if I don't say myself, and my flatmate and I devoured the lot. Well - they were drumsticks, so half of it is bones so it's not too bad is it? :rotfl: Needless to say, none was left for lunch today.

Brought some more bagels for lunch today (I buy them from Brick Lane and they are really cheap - £1.20 for a dozen if I remember correctly), but ran out of my glut of tuna bought when on offer :eek: so bought some more egg mayo filler, and a diet coke. Just feels like a Diet Coke day - it's my big addiction but I'm restricting to one can a week. Total spent in Mr S - £1.30

Got to work and my manager said 'Who wants a bacon and egg sandwich from the deli'. No-one spoke up, but she called me and said I should walk down with her. I THOUGHT she was suggesting that she was going to buy it but when the bill came she didn't, so that was £3.10 I didn't really need to spend! I used a loyalty card which was in my wallet from when I always used to go, where you get 1 sandwich free when you buy 5. She didn't have a card so 2 stamps were put on bringing it to 5 in total. In a way I guess this works out as £1.55 a sandwich because I can now get a free sandwich whenever I like, when I fancy a treat. :beer:

Also got a pack of chewing gum because I didn't want to be breathing out fried egg smell all day - 40p :o

The egg mayo filler needs to be used by the 9th August so the bagels and this can be used on Monday

In total £4.80 spent today...I'm still in budget so I'm not too concerned...and it is Friday....................................................................... :j
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Goooood Morning all

Hello to all the newbies -ooohh aren't we an ever expanding group :T
    My spends for the month so far stands at €42 -and we are 11 days in -so not too bad, especially as the freezers are stuffed to the gunnels :D...
    Im having a major strop at the moment as our Naafis have decided to STOP selling the extra lean minced steak :mad:-seems I can have my choice of 3 different kinds of the basic mince which is at "best" 20% fat :eek: -but can I have lean minced steak? can I b*ggery:( -SO plan 2 is to get my mincer out and go to one of the bigger German supermarkets for lean beef joints and Zap my own ;)...

Apart from that everything is going well here... Im now 0.5lb off getting my 4st award -which I WILL get at Sundays weigh in :p.
    I have said byebye to all bread and home made cakes etc-but I guess thats saving money on ingredients too :rotfl:-
    Hubby went away to a golf competition yesterday and isn't back until the morning -so Im just seeing to myself for food...so today Im having:-
    • roasted veggies with salmon for lunch
    • and then king prawns with sweet chilli sauce, with stir fried vegetables and home made wedges mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I think we will need to nip out on Monday and do another fruit n veg "top up" -I seem to be doing a lot of that -but hey ho..it has to be done I guess....

Anyway -enough waffle I will get off and update the list..have a great day everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Lindy_-_Loo
    Lindy_-_Loo Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spent £33.77 in netto, farmfoods and iceland. Farmfoods no longer offer sugar or fresh apple/orange in their 2 for £1 offer. Didnt realise till saw receipt. Got first asda online coming tomorrow, dont know if will use again as some items more expensive as netto or tesco value - but I did get £10 off first order and its a good job seeing as so much was spent today!
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • smiler34
    smiler34 Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2010 at 2:17PM
    Options
    Hi all, I've hovered on this board several times but yet to join but just looking through the amounts people are spending in a month has made me realise I could defintiley shave a bit off my monthly budget.

Atm I am spending about £100 per week for me and my partner and our 3 children (4, 3 and 11 months) Honestly is that excessive?

As well as food that amount includes Nappies, baby milk (not for long), toiletries, inc toilet roll etc and cleaning products. Baby milk is 2-weely and is £7.00. Nappies are usually about once a month we get 2 of those £10 boxes. My partner always insists on getting the massive pack of loo roll lol and that's about £6.00 a month.

About £80 goes on weekly spend and then £20 on extras bought during the week.

I do try and do meal plans but think I am planning things that are too expensive.

Anyway, where do I start?

:D

Ps please put me down for £300 this month x
    Mummy to two beautiful girls and one gorgeous boy.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • cookiemum
    cookiemum Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Well its taken me a few days to add up spends already so including Mr A Home Delivery total now £109.72. Determined to come in on budget this month. We are away for a week in the Lakes soon and will take some food with us but any other food spends will come out of holiday budget so if I can't do it this month I never will!;)

Please can you put me down again for £300.

Have a great weekend everyone.:)

February Grocery Challenge £301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• pipersky
    pipersky Posts: 954 Forumite
    Options
    Spent £12.96 at Mr T yesterday (included 3 punnets of raspberries reduced from £1.99 to 79p each - we have already eaten one and a half punnets - yum!)

My sister had a pack of 15 eggs in her fridge with an expiry date before she gets back from hols so we are sorted for eggs for a while :D

Am going to go to Mr A later today to see if they have any reduced nappies left but tht will be all I need to buy until we get back from hols :j:j:j

Hope everyone ele doing OK and staying on target :)
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2010 at 3:33PM
    Options
    Not having the best start to the month - £127.52 so far out of £275

I knew it would be difficult from now on, as due to the serious weight gain caused by an anti psychotic my daughter needs to be on, she's now having $limfast drinks 2-3 times a day to keep her weight in check, as last time she was on it she put on 1½ stones in 3 months!! She tried coming off it because of the weight gain, with horrendous consequences, and as it's the only medication we've found to work so far, needs must I'm afraid. But it's £6 per tin :eek:

Anyway - that includes the 1st of my main fortnightly grocery shops (and five tins of $limfast) and I will continue to try and bring us in on budget.

Onwards and upwards!! :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Been to FF and market,spent another $5.50
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 August 2010 at 6:57PM
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    . I've also made 2 chocolate courgette cakes QUOTE]

Yummy... sounds good!! is the recipie on here somewhere??
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    Sue14 wrote: »
    it was a bit annoying therefore that I couldn't get everything I wanted, as some items were out of stock, because I had a voucher for £5 off a £40 spend and I would have been able to use it if they'd had the other items!

You're very disciplined! I think I'd have spent another £4 on freezer stuff just to get it free! Will you be able to use the voucher again at least?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure