We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PPI rejection from Bank of Scotland!

Options
Hi can someone help me please? i sent a letter to BOS creditcard as my hubby had PPI on it. They replied saying that my husband had chose to purchase the PPI when he applied for the credit card via post, since they didn't advise him to purchase and without anyone's advice he applied for it, therefore he can't claim against to it..He is very upset over this. Is there anything else we could do???:mad:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are "sold" the cover you can complain that the cover was mis-sold. However, if you were not sold the cover and you chose to have it then no-one is responsible for a mis-sale other than yourself.

The exception in these cases are where forms may have had auto selection as default (i.e. you ticked the box if you didnt want it rather than want it).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Yasminakash
    Options
    He ticked the box without realising it it was optional as the term was not clear. However he never ever received the policy detailing what it was covered for. DO we have a chance of fighting back???
  • BigCraigJohn
    BigCraigJohn Posts: 1,082 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you got the application?, if not may be worth getting hold of it. :)
  • halphy
    halphy Posts: 593 Forumite
    Options
    id try anyway, say it wasnt explained to him correctly. Good Luck x
  • melorablack
    melorablack Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    Options
    But their point is that it wasn't explained to him at all....it was all up to him.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    He ticked the box without realising it it was optional as the term was not clear. However he never ever received the policy detailing what it was covered for. DO we have a chance of fighting back???

That means they are correct to reject the complaint.
    id try anyway, say it wasnt explained to him correctly. Good Luck x

Doenst need to be. When you buy something without an adviser, salesman or company representative being involved you take on the responsibility for choosing what you want. If the box was ticked and no-one else was involved then they do not need to explain anything.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    'ticked the box without realising it was optional'

the fact you had the choice whether to select it or not implies it was optional.
  • Yasminakash
    Yasminakash Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all kinds of reply guys. am now more so confused.
  • BigCraigJohn
    BigCraigJohn Posts: 1,082 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think what is being said is

You applied for the ppi rather than being sold it as you filled in a form and ticked the box. Say you filled a form in at home then sent it off they could not of mis sold it as they did not sell it you, you chose to buy it.

But the reason I asked if you had the form is that it may of been pre ticked in which case it would of been a different story. I know that I have a credit card application which they claimed I filled in that isnt in my handwriting, just has my signature and date in my writing but the rest was filled before sending. There is a clear difference between the rest of the form and those bits I completed.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Thanks for all kinds of reply guys. am now more so confused.

The bottom line is that you have no grounds for complaint as no-one sold it. It was bought because your husband ticked the box to have it. It was his choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport