PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is a cake appropriate??????

Options
Ok so I have new uber neighbours who have decorated their entire house in a fortnight and are now starting on the gardens

Which shamed me into doing my front garden and I am glad because it's been bugging me for weeks

This weekend they asked if they could cut down the conifers in the back garden that run between the two gardens and replace it with a fence - and I said yes, as the conifers grow at a rate of knots and shut out so much light. So today they have chainsawed them all down. Now most of them were on my side of the boudary and I've given them a bit of a hand shifting dead tree.

However they've put so much effort into it that I would ike to do something to say thanks. I can't afford to offer towards the cost of the fence so I thought ok, I'll bake a cake.

What do you think? Too stingy? At the minute it's about all I can afford to be honest.

1. Is a cake appropriate as a thank you in this situation? What else would you do?
2. has any one got any fool proof kick a** cake recipes that will impress the heck out of them?

Cheers everyone xxxx
Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would find a cake acceptable and would be pleased that you had taken the trouble and recognised the work done.

I usually do a victoria sponge with jam and fresh cream which is an idea I copied off MIL but it always seems to go down well.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too would be very pleased with your THANKYOU.........
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Lil_Dee_2
    Options
    Cake would be a lovely idea, :T and would deffo go down well in our house too. And I also agree with Bossyboots (well, with a name like that, I guess I should, shouldn't I ;) ) on the victoria sponge bit...though I'd do it with jam, and leave them to add their own cream (I lurrrrrvvvvve cream on mine, my O/H doesn't, so that's why).

Oh, and if they don't look grateful when you call round, pass it over this way *yummy* :D
  • fudgem
    fudgem Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    I would think your new neighbours were delighted that you agreed to them cutting down the conifers, I know we were when we asked our neighbour if we could cut down the one towering above our house.

And yes, I think they would be very pleased to be given a cake, even if they don't eat cake, its the thought that counts
  • justin138
    Options
    Make sure they're not allergic to the ingredients, or are vegans, first.

AND don't make Justin's classic cake (see separate thread).
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made my neighbour a cake for xmas couple of years ago and she was SO pleased :)
    Mots people don't home bake so people usually really appreciate the effort.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • angeluk69_2
    Options
    I would love it if a neighbour was to bake me a cake, I regularly cut the neighbours'(on both sides) grass and don't even get a word of thanx, they just grunt at me and ask when I am coming round again.

So I go and bake my own cake....
    Proud to be me, proud to be who I am!!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers guys, will get baking tomorrow when I get home from work :dance:
    Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

• tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is there ever a time when cake is not appropriate?:confused: Particularly with chocolate. And chocolate fllling. And chocolate icing. Preferably ganache (that's cream, icing sugar and chocolate). :drool:
  • chloe99_2
    Options
    cake's definitely a good idea - how many times do our neighbours bake cakes for us? I'd love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport