We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheap flights to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Options
Hi,
Can anyone advise on where I'd best try to get some cheap flights to KL. I am travelling for about a week end of November and was told AirAsiaX where the cheapest from Stansted. Unfortunately they are quoting 600£!! I was told it would be about £350..
Anyone with any experience/advice... cheers!
MS2U

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mahesh_on wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone advise on where I'd best try to get some cheap flights to KL. I am travelling for about a week end of November and was told AirAsiaX where the cheapest from Stansted. Unfortunately they are quoting 600£!! I was told it would be about £350..

AirAsia is the only "budget" carrier to KL. They often do have sales but clearly not when you want to fly. The end of November, unfortunately, is the start of the peak season for people going to Malaysia and onward to Australia.

The other option is to look at routes via the Middle East on Emirates, Ethiad, Qatar etc. Not only are they cheaper than flying direct but they offer a chance to stretch your legs for a couple of hours halfway. Flying non-stop to KL is a long slog.
  • jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    Unfortunately they are quoting 600£!! I was told it would be about £350...

Like Ryanair, Easyjet or any low cost carrier, Air Asia prices start off cheap and get more expensive, depending on how many seats they sell on any particular flight.

I travelled to KL from Glasgow with Emirates - they have departures to Dubai from Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Heathrow and Gatwick, and the Dubai stopover is almost exactly half-way. Makes for an appealing stopover (which I did for a few days) and their economy class cabin is second to none. For the best fares go direct to emirates.com, I've not found cheaper through any agent.
  • jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    Psssst.... KL is on sale with Emirates right now. Book by 2/8/10, travel 11/8/10 - 30/11/10; round-trip from £509.

http://emirates.com/uk/english/destinations_offers/special_offers/special_fares/special_fares.aspx?id=586629#586629
  • Doshwaster
    edited 20 July 2010 at 8:15PM
    Options
    . Makes for an appealing stopover (which I did for a few days) and their economy class cabin is second to none. For the best fares go direct to emirates.com, I've not found cheaper through any agent.

And Emirates is even better if you get one of their A380 services which are simply amazing. It's more like being on an ocean liner than a plane - whereas some of their older planes are getting dated. Economy in an Emirates A380 is better than premium economy on most other airlines. It was the first time I had seen people boarding a plane take out their cameras to take pictures.

I wouldn't even think about doing KL non-stop on an non-frills Air Asia service no matter how cheap is ways. However, having said that, Air Asia for short haul routes in SE Asia is superb with a fantastic service, cheap prices and the most gorgeous hostesses of any airline. KL is their main hub and it's a great way to explore the region.
  • jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    And Emirates is even better if you get one of their A380 services which are simply amazing.

+1

Absolutely true, but Emirates know this popularity and charge a premium on the A380 service out of LHR. If you can't find a decent fare, try the same dates from Gatwick or Birmingham. Won't be an A380, but you will get almost exactly the same inflight entertainment system ("ICE") which will be one of the most important things for ensuring a pleasant flight.
  • Doshwaster
    Options
    +1

Absolutely true, but Emirates know this popularity and charge a premium on the A380 service out of LHR. If you can't find a decent fare, try the same dates from Gatwick or Birmingham. Won't be an A380, but you will get almost exactly the same inflight entertainment system ("ICE") which will be one of the most important things for ensuring a pleasant flight.

I think Emirates also use the A380 on the DXB to KUL route so even if you don't get one to/from the UK you can experience it on the other legs.

The last time I flew back from DXB I just watched 5 episodes of Top Gear back to back and the flight just "flew" by. Their in-flight entertainment system is the best I have seen on any airline - about 800 channels of movies, TV and music. When I fly BA I usually keep the screen turned off as the selection is to bad and the screen so tiny.
  • MrTomato
    MrTomato Posts: 771 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to get to Dubai on the cheap before getting another flight onwards, you could get a Ryanair flight to Oslo, then fly with Norwegian for £130 to Dubai.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Was from £71 one way in their last sale but I think https://www.kayak.co.uk is your best bet now.
  • Moonchild
    Moonchild Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    Emirates do not unfortunately run A380 flights from Dubai - KL, but they will in time, having just added a third daily flight.

They do not charge a supplement for A380 flights. They do charge more for Heathrow than Gatwick flights for sale prices (around £15-£25), and people do book the A380 where they can, so it often fills up quicker (thus why it might appear as higher prices).

Airlines you should keep an eye out for keen pricing include Oman Air who have just started flying to KL. Although it's not daily (so you may have to be flexible) - they have brand spanking new A330's, great service, and get a big thumbs up from here. Also with good current fares are Egypt Air (not recommended here) and Etihad who have a SE Asia sale going on (I prefer them to Emirates).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport