'Do you believe in the BBC licence fee?' poll discussion

Comments

• Sky is heap of $h!t, and more expensive.
    You like, you pay!
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You like, you pay!

Till you're left with nothing, tis the Murdoch way.

His b!tching about the beeb is primarliy about one thing - quality, he's know it ain't as good.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • Saucepot
    Saucepot Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    The human cost of the TV poll tax

http://www.spiderbomb.com/tv/human.html
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • UncleBuck
    UncleBuck Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Whilst I think we pay too much for the licence as there's just not enough independent scrutiny of the budgets. To even contemplate introducing Ad's would be social suicide in my opinion. We seem to be heading more and more closer to the American lifestyle of trash TV and high payouts for game shows, the BBC is at the moment the only rock of sanity.
    There's always someone bigger and better, smarter and stronger but there's only one YOU!:j
    Proud to be a MF and DF MSE after following advice here and breaking the ground-in mental barriers to change! :cool:
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Saucepot wrote: »
    The human cost of the TV poll tax

http://www.spiderbomb.com/tv/human.html

That is a great website - made me laugh out loud:D
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    No ads, please!

Can you imagine Radio 4's Today programme constantly interrupted by Injury Lawyers for you or other such drivel.

No no no. I hate ads.

Leave the beeb as it is. You can avoid the licence fee if you feel strongly, whilst still being entitled to receive free public service radio.

I think the licence fee provides reasonable value for money.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    what most of the commercial companies fail to realise as they continue there campaign to bring down the BBC is that there is a very limited pot for advertising, ITV are as good as bankrupt and Dave (the pm not the channel :p) has halved the govts advertising.

if the bbc started to take revenue from the pot half the commercial tv and radio stations would go under

hmmm no more itv, i demand adds on BBC now :T
  • paulq
    paulq Posts: 64 Forumite
    Nope. We shouldn't have to pay, i don't agree with the way they spend there budget and i don't agree with the way they threaten and imprison people. Make the BBC commerical, and stop the Licence fee!
  • davidlizard
    davidlizard Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would suggest that we need to define what the role of public service broadcasting is, and from that decide the scope of the BBC.

In my opinion, the BBC should be providing broadcasting that is not always viable for commercial broadcasters, but nevertheless important for society. Typical examples will be truly impartial news, parliament coverage, local affairs, BBC radio 6 - all the sort of stuff that would not be cost effective for others to do. This can then be funded by general taxation, and would require nowhere near the £3.5Bn currently used.

Stuff that pulls in the ratings - for example Eastenders - leave that to commercial TV which will attract viewers and hence advertisers. Big name stars (on big salaries) - again leave that to commercial TV. Untried talent can get their chance with BBC, then move on to commercial telly once in demand.

The current situation of BBC going head to head against ITV ratings chasing is ridiculous - BBC content is being dumbed down to attract large audiences, ITV are in a vicious circle suffering from lower viewing figures by having to compete against the blank cheque BBC, less attractive advertisment slots therefore less money to make quality telly to attract more viewers.

A case in point was BBC spending fortunes to get the F1 broadcasting rights off ITV. All it means for the viewer is they now get to watch something that was free-to-air anyway on a different channel. It would have been more useful for the BBC to invest this money in obtaining sporting rights for stuff lost to subscription channels.
  • carlw
    carlw Posts: 201 Forumite
    I would suggest that we need to define what the role of public service broadcasting is, and from that decide the scope of the BBC.

In my opinion, the BBC should be providing broadcasting that is not always viable for commercial broadcasters, but nevertheless important for society. Typical examples will be truly impartial news, parliament coverage, local affairs, BBC radio 6 - all the sort of stuff that would not be cost effective for others to do. This can then be funded by general taxation, and would require nowhere near the £3.5Bn currently used.

Stuff that pulls in the ratings - for example Eastenders - leave that to commercial TV which will attract viewers and hence advertisers. Big name stars (on big salaries) - again leave that to commercial TV. Untried talent can get their chance with BBC, then move on to commercial telly once in demand.

The current situation of BBC going head to head against ITV ratings chasing is ridiculous - BBC content is being dumbed down to attract large audiences, ITV are in a vicious circle suffering from lower viewing figures by having to compete against the blank cheque BBC, less attractive advertisment slots therefore less money to make quality telly to attract more viewers.

A case in point was BBC spending fortunes to get the F1 broadcasting rights off ITV. All it means for the viewer is they now get to watch something that was free-to-air anyway on a different channel. It would have been more useful for the BBC to invest this money in obtaining sporting rights for stuff lost to subscription channels.

I have been having a good think about this before voting, as i wasnt really sure how i felt. The BBC is well respected world wide, and creates some great new comedy that im sure it profits from selling on, and i dont believe it should start advertising. I do think it has lost its way and couldnt agree more with the post above. We should pay a licence fee but it should be a fraction of the amount we currently pay, keep the website, and scale back on some of the TV and radio, i agree, they do not need to compete with free-to-air channels that is just a complete waste of money. Who cares if they watch f1 on BBC or ITV, let ITV pay not the licence fee payer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure