We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flights to Adelaide or Melbourne

Options
Does anyone know when the flights get cheaper or how much a good price is? I know British Airways etc sometimes have sales but I can't remember what times of the year they offer them. Thanks in advance
catch22

Comments

• Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    catch22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the flights get cheaper or how much a good price is? I know British Airways etc sometimes have sales but I can't remember what times of the year they offer them. Thanks in advance

I suspect that you have missed the very best deals for this year, Air Asia have a sale usually in May, Stansted to Melbourne via Kuala Lumpur one way was about £140 if you got the best deals, I know someone who did :D
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    British Airways have a sale on now (book by the 20th July). Air Asia X deals to KL earlier this year were one way only and for a return flight weren't that good especially if you have to travel to get to Stansted. Keep looking at Kayak, Expedia etc or set up a fare alert.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Options
    fifeken wrote: »
    British Airways have a sale on now (book by the 20th July). Air Asia X deals to KL earlier this year were one way only and for a return flight weren't that good especially if you have to travel to get to Stansted. Keep looking at Kayak, Expedia etc or set up a fare alert.

Actually I thought less than £380 (all in) to Melbourne AND back with Air Asia was quite good , and don't forget Stansted is much closer than say Heathrow for MANY people.
    I do agree that Kayak is perhaps the best bet now.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £380 return is good but if you add on £100 for travel in the UK and £30 for a bag and food it gets to the stage where you're not far off a good fare with a full service airline, which might not have a five hour wait in KL LCCT. If I remember rightly the last Air Asia sale only covered travel for about a month (October/November time) which might not suit the OP.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    edited 17 July 2010 at 12:45PM
    Options
    fifeken wrote: »
    £380 return is good but if you add on £100 for travel in the UK and £30 for a bag and food it gets to the stage where you're not far off a good fare with a full service airline, which might not have a five hour wait in KL LCCT. If I remember rightly the last Air Asia sale only covered travel for about a month (October/November time) which might not suit the OP.

Actually my price was all in, bag, food the lot and they had two BIG sales, covering virtually all of the winter between them. Not quite sure where the £100 for UK travel comes from, from down in Somerset it's only about £30 return to Stansted on the bus.
    I've got a four month stop-over travelling out from KL before OZ so perfect for me, but as you say it would not suit everyone, it can only help to know ALL of the options though, especially on a money saving forum.
    :A
  • catch22
    catch22 Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I was checking various sites before posting this thread and there was nothing for less than £900 this year. Thanks to you both for the suggestions. Living in Birmingham means it doesn't really matter where in London I have to fly from. The time of year doesn't matter too much so I'll just keep looking.
    catch22
  • Foxtbh
    Foxtbh Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I paid £560 to Melbourne last year with Malaysia Airlines.

Perth is cheaper as its about 3 hours closer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport