Kia 7 year warranty

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 August 2010 at 8:18PM
    Options
    Agreed, that way you get the best of both worlds-the first owner takes the big depreciation hit, and you still get 3 or 5 years warranty.
    The depreciation factor seems to be all about brand image, as they're actually very reliable cars. Now they are turning out designs more attuned to European buyers, I'm sure that 2nd hand values will improve.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Now they are turning out designs more attuned to European buyers, I'm sure that 2nd hand values will improve.

Not only attuned to European buyers, the Ceed is actually made in Europe, I had one out on a free 3 day test drive, I was very impressed with the quality of it.
  • benham3160
    Options
    A seven year warranty on a car is very bold indeed.

I think that it shows the commitment Kia have to the brand here in the UK and they must have great confidence in the build quality to offer this. Having such a long warranty can only be a good thing as other manufacturers may follow suit.

I really cannot see how you can go wrong with a car for under £7K and a 7 year warranty. It makes you wonder how they do it!
    I think Kia can offer it because frankly the cars cost pence for them to make, and the parts are made in the far east for pence.

Nothing wrong with the new Kia models (not something I'd rush out to buy though,) but looking over my bosses brand new Picanto with a basic 1.0 engine, wind up windows and not even central locking, a clock or an interior lamp, I do wonder how much could actually go wrong with it. When you compare it to a Honda/Toyota/Nissan made a "stones throw away" globally speaking, you can definately and plainly see the difference in fit, finish, build quality and drivability.

You could easily buy a new Ford, Honda, Toyota and have no problems with it in seven years. Infact the seven year old Focus on my drive has only seen a Ford workshop for servicing......... The Primera also on my drive has it's first off-road incident in fourteen dedicated years of service after it's clutch finally burnt out at 145,000 miles.

Regards,
    Andy
  • Inactive
    Options
    New Toyota's now come with a 5 year warranty.

Very soon the others will have to follow suit, otherwise they will all be left behind.
  • benham3160
    Options
    Just a slight aside.

How many people do you think would keep a Kia seven years?

Regards,
    Andy
  • Inactive
    Options
    benham3160 wrote: »
    Just a slight aside.

Regards,
    Andy

If it was a Ceed, I would.

But the warranty is transferable for no cost to the new owner ( unlike the Vauxhall one ) so it wouldn't really matter anyway.
  • macman
    Options
    I think Kia can offer it because frankly the cars cost pence for them to make, and the parts are made in the far east for pence.

And what gives you the idea that South Korea is still a low wage economy?
  • benham3160
    benham3160 Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »

And what gives you the idea that South Korea is still a low wage economy?

Because it is?

http://www.worldsalaries.org/korea.shtml

I love it when people think they are being smart.......

Regards,
    Andy
  • macman
    Options
    About an 18% difference? Korea is hardly at Chinese wage levels, which are a third of Korean ones, according to your own source.
    The old 'how can we compete when they are paid a bowl of rice a day' gripe just doesn't apply any more.
  • 10JH
    10JH Posts: 287 Forumite
    Options
    benham3160 wrote: »
    Just a slight aside.

Regards,
    Andy

As the warranty is transferable to the next owner, it means the car will be worth more if you choose to sell it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure