Kia 7 year warranty

Options

Comments

• dannymccann
    dannymccann Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    You specify a car with very low running costs, any brand new 'eco' car is designed to cost next to nothing compared to older variants, so go for the size of car you want, with a diesel engine if you do majority motorway / long distance driving, if you hopping about town only go for the smallest petrol, if its mixed town and country then go for a bigger engined petrol / diesel depending on how you feel.
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I own a Kia Ceed and I recommend it. :)
    Don't like the Ceed, poor rear view & banged my elbow on the centre console every time I changed gear.
    I have no issue with rear view and don't hit my elbow in console either - well I don't need to change gear as mine is automatic :D
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suggest you look at the Hyundai i10 as an alternative to the Picanto-still has a 5 year warranty, more recent design.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I bought a 3 year old Picanto.

The warranty seemed to be fairly worthless to be honest, just a ploy to get you in the dealership. The salesmen wouldn't show me anything on paper or give me any details, just kept saying 'Its really great, it covers everything you'd expect" and when I asked if it covered something specific, the answer was always no!

The 07 car has a very very low mileage for its age and is in a low insurance and tax band. I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to buy a brand new car, the instant depreciation is just so off-putting!
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Well I bought a 3 year old Picanto.

The Kia 3 year Warranty will have expired, so the only warranty will be that from the dealer surely?, hardly fair to have a go at Kia.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    The Kia 7 year warranty applies to all cars registered since 1 January 2010 and is transferable to subsequent owners.

Prior to this it only applied to C'eed models ( and one other model, I cannot recall which one ).

Thats what I asked :T
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    The Kia 3 year Warranty will have expired, so the only warranty will be that from the dealer surely?, hardly fair to have a go at Kia.

Yep, the warranty's expired, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm not at all having a go at Kia though, I've just bought one so why would I?! I think my concerns apply to most manufacturer warranties, for most products, the things that seem mostly likely to need repair aren't covered! I guess this just means I'll always be a buyer of second hand things. I wouldn't buy a new build house either ;) No judgement of people who do, just not for me.

Forgot to say thanks to everybody who offered advice, it was very helpful. :D
  • mexmanz
    Options
    Hi
    Interesting reading, we are considering the Ceed due to high repair costs on Golf and Vectra over past 2-3yrs.
    My wife is very keen on the peace of mind knowing that we have the warranty.

Does anyone have a link to the terms & conditions (small print) of the warranty, I am struggling to find!

Talking to a dealer this w/e we were advised that servicing is not required at KIA garage, only that genuine KIA parts are fitted and also on 09 plates they could reset the warranty back to 7 years for approved vehicle, can anyone clarify this?

Many thanks
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mexmanz wrote: »

Talking to a dealer this w/e we were advised that servicing is not required at KIA garage, only that genuine KIA parts are fitted and also on 09 plates they could reset the warranty back to 7 years for approved vehicle, can anyone clarify this?

Many thanks

Technically that is correct.

But what happens if your mechanic doesn't use Kia parts or the company believe you have not in the past then the warranty could be void (or the mechanic has not followed the Kia sercice schedule).

I'd be a little chicken to go down that route but if you can get some gurantee then it might be an option.
  • jimbo_the_jetset
    Options
    mexmanz wrote: »
    only that genuine KIA parts are fitted

Isn't that against the block exemption rules? Or maybe your wording is slightly incorrect. They are not allowed to void the warranty if original parts or those which meet the same specification are used. At least that is my understanding.

From the AA :

Since March 2002:
    • car owners have been able to have their vehicles serviced and repaired by independent garages without affecting the warranty (providing parts matching original specification are used and the manufacturer's service schedule is followed), and
    • The independent garage trade and motoring organisations such as the AA have benefited from formal requirements for car manufacturers to provide technical information as they do for their own franchised dealers.
    Although from the AA website looks like the block exemption could change in 2010 which does not sound good.

See here and everyone sign the petition :

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/right-to-repair-campaign.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure