We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

car hire deposit

Options
last year i hired a car and needed a £1000 deposit. i did this on my credit card which was my max limit, but could still use the card to buy things!

dont understand why or how this works, or if it was a 'mistake' ???

im going away again hiring from the same company but i definately need to use my credit card for other purchases

so just wondering if you know if i would be able to use my card, considering i could last time?

Comments

• GEEGEE8
    GEEGEE8 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Options
    I'm hiring from Enterprise in a week and their policy is £100 deposit if over 30, £250 if under.

£1000 seems a lot, depending on what car you are hiring.
    9/70lbs to lose :)
  • jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    costaerer wrote: »
    last year i hired a car and needed a £1000 deposit. i did this on my credit card which was my max limit, but could still use the card to buy things!

dont understand why or how this works, or if it was a 'mistake' ???

They don't normally lift £1000 from your card; they place a kind of hold on that amount. I think...
  • costaerer
    costaerer Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    They don't normally lift £1000 from your card; they place a kind of hold on that amount. I think...

but that means i can still use the money on it?

yeah it is a lot but im 21!
  • jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    costaerer wrote: »
    but that means i can still use the money on it?

I believe so yes, but as with all matters financial you should double check this with your credit card issuer.

If you rent the car, spend some money and then wrap the car around a tree, the car hire company will lift the £1000 from your account and you will promptly go into sticky territory with your credit card company, who will likely fine you and charge hideous rates of interest for going over your agreed credit limit.
  • costaerer
    costaerer Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    LOL ! thanks....good to know anyway :D feeling more relaxed about going away!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport