We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Car Hire - How do I top up my insurance

Options
Hi guys

Really hoping someone can help. I was listening to Radio 4 yesterday and a rather concerning topic came up on the BBC Radio 4 Programme You and Yours concerning car hire in Florida by a Brit and the tragic consequences thereafter. You can find it on the BBC i-player by searching for Florida Loophole first broadcast on 15/07/2010.

In summary, the Brit who hired a car in florida got bumped by a US drunk driver and is now tragically paralysed. Unlike in the UK where we have unlimited payout from third party cover, this appears not to be the case in the US and he stands to receive only $10,000 in Personal Accident Insurance.

I rang my travel insurance company today to see if I can top this limit up and have been told that this isn't possible. Equally if I apply for new PAI cover, it invalidates my travel insurance?

Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport