PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?

Options

Comments

• mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jo_Rourke wrote: »
    Oh yeah! We called them Skip-a-Go's :) My favourites were kerbie (throwing ball across road to hit the other kerb) and good old chasies :D

We have kerbie competitions here every summer, the boys also play manhunt, footy, cricket all those type of games but we are lucky in that we have quite big grass areas at the side of our house (ex RAF camp)
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 421 Forumite
    Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

It's started raining here heavily in the last hour or so yet we have the hosepipe ban.

Have made 4 large jars of lemon curd - 1 for me & 3 for DD when I see her next week.

Got first two pressies for the dreaded 'C' today. Asda have an offer starting today on a range of Toy Story 3 toys . They retail for up to £19.00 each but they are selling them at any 2 for £20.00 so I got a lego car & an Action Links set. 1 each for the grandsons, so I have started on this years hampers. Made a saving of £8.00.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very few of my tomatoes ripened on the plant last year so put them in a trug on the window ledge with a banana and they went red really well, think Im going to have to do the same this year BUT I will need a really big trug as I have about 30 ish plants varying from teeny tiny to 1lb size. I have never seen so many yellow flowers int he garden. The rain has been almost continual here so Ive been sowing and knitting as Dh can't face the wheelchair in the wet. The other problem is that pumpkin that I thought was a courgette -hmm well the rain is spurring it along and I think it will take over the garden so I am going to have to pinch out the tips once the fruit has set or it will be in the house and up the stairs :eek: The other 2 pumpkin plants are in sensible places :rotfl:well as sensible as I get. Definately cut the shopping bill this week as I have had a few NSD's but still a bit scary here and am trying not to panic. Using up all the threads and aida I have accumulated along with wool to get a head start on Christmas, after last years success Im hoping to repeat it!
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Well another day of torrential rain here, and the OH and I have cabin fever and are getting ready to kill each other...That's two and a half weeks of RAIN so far :(

Don't be greedy, send some down south please :D
    no rain here for 6 weeks, except a little drizzle for an hour.
    Its a full time job trying to keep my fruit/veg alive!
  • flipperOSN
    flipperOSN Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    It's tipped it down up here in Yorkshire. I'm growing a few carrots in pots as an experiment (fingers crossed) and they look drowned :(
    Old-Style Enthusiast :j
  • Lindy_-_Loo
    Lindy_-_Loo Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hiya everyone,

pouring with rain here in Birkenhead, has been for over a week, although we have had a few hours of sunshine today!
    off to pontins next week - rained everyday when we went last July....
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I can only grow tomatoes inside on my south facing windowsills. I havent got any this year - didnt have any money for compost lol - but next year I will again because I miss them. Maybe you should all grow some indoors as well as out because they always come on fine indoors? And no pests or wind to spoil them.
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Patchwork_Quilt Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I can only grow tomatoes inside on my south facing windowsills. I havent got any this year - didnt have any money for compost lol - but next year I will again because I miss them. Maybe you should all grow some indoors as well as out because they always come on fine indoors? And no pests or wind to spoil them.

Could you make compost from veg peelings?
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Could you make compost from veg peelings?

...and you'll never guess where I found a website page saying how-to:

www.tesco.com/greenerliving/go_greener/greener_gardening/composting.page

:cool: Tesc* greenwash campaigning I presume :rotfl::rotfl:

and, "proper gardeners" correct me if I'm wrong....but...errr....a certain waste product of the RV (Ratty Virgo - aka your dear husband:)) would, I think, be good on any compost heap to start with "activating" it......errr...the more "liquid" waste product from him...not "the other one"..:rotfl::rotfl:
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Harvested some strawbs and about 20 redcurrants from the garden. I wash them and then add them to a container in the freezer. The container is now full of berries and when i have recycled enough jars i will make jam. I've got a coupl of courgettes growing, already had a couple from that particular plant. When all the courgette plants are up to production i shall make courgette chutney and if the toms come to something then i will make sundried tomatoes or pasta sauces etc. I'll be giving home made gifts this Christmas again :-)
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills