PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?

Options

Comments

• susyrosy
    susyrosy Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Smiley - maybe you have to be a little bit crafty and prepare two slightly different CV's - one listing your qualifications and the other omitting them, and choose which CV you submit for different jobs. If your qualifications are likely to rule you out for certain jobs because employers fear you may be over-qualified, you are effectively applying with one arm tied behind your back and employers may feel that your qualifications may cause a skills inbalance within their team and wonder how they will manage it. Perhaps worth trying to see going this route gets you a job via the back door. You won't exactly have lied on your CV. You just forgot mention it as irrelevant to that particular job for which you were applying. I've known people in the past get jobs by this route, as well as leaving off their date of birth as being irrelevant. Employers are more wary about asking for this information nowadays in case they're accused of age discrimination. Once you get on board, you can then be judged on your merit and competence, rather than on an imagine that an employer has perhaps erroneously built up about you.

I used to advise people on CV writing - and I've been in the situation of being over AND under qualified ... sometimes simultaneously, believe it or not ... and I completely agree with the double CV suggestion here. You have to tailor the CV for the job - NO LYING, just tailoring. And NEVER put your DOB on - although it's illegal to discriminate on age grounds, nonetheless it can be taken into account subconciously. I never used to put the dates of my education on my CV, either, as that's another way of putting your DOB ...!

Of course the irritating thing is filling in application forms ... I'm virtually unemployable in my previous career these days, as it doesn't exist! So I've gone down a different road - something I've wanted to do for many years - and opened a tiny, yet perfectly formed B&B in my house. Typing this waiting for the next guests to turn up!

Susy
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    With you on that Jackie - re your thoughts on the White Horse. Are they sure it's not a "white elephant" instead?

What planet DO some of these people live on? These days I know what they mean in that phrase about "having a reality check"...:cool:

My local council has spent thousands on statutes. They seem to be on every roundabout. They recently unveiled several vertical slabs on the high street at a cost of over £30,000. They then announced that all the public toilets would have to be closed due to costs.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Prudent
    Options
    susyrosy wrote: »
    I used to advise people on CV writing - and I've been in the situation of being over AND under qualified ... sometimes simultaneously, believe it or not ... and I completely agree with the double CV suggestion here. You have to tailor the CV for the job - NO LYING, just tailoring. And NEVER put your DOB on - although it's illegal to discriminate on age grounds, nonetheless it can be taken into account subconciously. I never used to put the dates of my education on my CV, either, as that's another way of putting your DOB ...!

Of course the irritating thing is filling in application forms ... I'm virtually unemployable in my previous career these days, as it doesn't exist! So I've gone down a different road - something I've wanted to do for many years - and opened a tiny, yet perfectly formed B&B in my house. Typing this waiting for the next guests to turn up!

Susy

Thanks for all the advise Susy. I am hol just now and am thinking of doing a CV. I thankfully am in a job, but these are uncertain times.

I am so pleased for you over the B&B. I have long wanted to open one too, but am a single mum so too scared too give up the job and take that step. I wish you all the best. Do keep us updated :)
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Prudent
    Options
    Happy birthday Gailey :)
  • ClootiesMum
    ClootiesMum Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks,

Another fellow lurker here who was too scared on this thread before.
    I'll not be able to offer much (if anything) but I do like to read.

For the record - there's only me, DH & 2 dogs in the house. We both have (as much as can be expected) securish jobs and are fortunate enough to be able to pay our way BUT I'm well aware things could change at any time.
    And I can cut expenses down by so much if I just got my ar*e into gear - that's why I like this thread - it has so many good ideas.

And trying to explain to people that I don't need or want "things" is normally quite challenging - at least on this thread you all seem to have realised that & it's so refreshing.

Sorry - this post rambles a bit, but I hope you know what I mean

Thanks folks
    Debts 07/12/2021
    #280/#310.08/#450/#575.47/#750/#1000/#1200/#1848.83
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy Birthday gailey :) And hope you feel ok after your accident Kath.

Reading through the recent posts it occurs that its time to speak up, councils making silly spending decisions - SHOUT out at them and have the paper do a piece on their wastefulness. maybe it will get enough people enraged that they have to listen.
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    Options
    kidcat wrote: »
    Happy Birthday gailey :) And hope you feel ok after your accident Kath.

Reading through the recent posts it occurs that its time to speak up, councils making silly spending decisions - SHOUT out at them and have the paper do a piece on their wastefulness. maybe it will get enough people enraged that they have to listen.

It might well be worth writing to your local MP telling them how you feel. If you're not sure who/where they are, use http://www.writetothem.com/

This works better if they are from a different party to either the current government OR the local council as it gives them a stick to shake at the opposition.

Charis
  • honeybun16
    honeybun16 Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    has any one else found that since trying to tighten their belts that other people that when you get talking to them fall into one of two types, those completely missing it and carrying on blindly or the other type ( which i prefer) are trying to do the same thing as you but do it almost in secret.

There have been a couple of people who i've been talking to recently who seem almost relieved to have found someone else prepared to admit that they are tightening their belts and to talk too. One lady was so happy that she was not the only one starting to try and make and makedo that she ended up having a two hour conversation with me about how she is quiltting for all of her grandchildren this year for christmas but she is scared that her DiL will think she is just being cheap.
    2 adults 4 children Eldest 14 yrs old youngest 1yr old,
    Total Credit July £38K Aug £37K Sept £37K Oct £33K Nov £26K Dec £60K May £56K Nov £52K Apr £21K :eek:
    What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In my recent past life I was a very successful charity shop manager, even headhunted on occasion but never quite fit in. My boss disliked me with avengance yet came to me often to pour out her troubles and ask for business advice. At meetings I was the one asking questions, leading work parties and coming up with ideas which were put into action - but the boss always took the credit. I earned a small wage but gave 150%. All I got for it was tennis elbow, damaged knee and a frozen shoulder. I know I could have carried on for many years being undervalued and over used but fate got in the way and I had to leave to look after Dh - not one minute since have I regretted the decision, even after Dhss left us penniless and on the verge of repossession of rented house.

My life is often full of worry and I do get down but I feel more valued as a person making, mending, growing and above all am appreciated every time I pick up my grandson or have to rush upstairs to rescue Dh. This is the life I have always wanted - its true Mardatha we are all of value, whatever choices we make.

As for 12 million pound bl**dy statues, thats just an insult to people who are struggling in many ways.

We had our own house and lost it during the Thatcher years but as Dh says if the roof blows off this the council will have to put one back on.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for your comments regarding the car crash. I did have a bit f an asthma attack and it didn't do much good to my other existing health problems, but thanks be to God i am okay. You have all shown far more compassion to me than anyone else who was there that day and failed to show any, and i thank you form the bottom of my heart for doing so.

On another note, i just found a large bag of soap shavings from when i had my mad soap making phase, so i am going to play about in the kitchen making all manner of cleaning products etc this weekend....i've got to do something as my 18 year old is driving her an some friends to Wales for a weeks holiday and i am anxious as she only passed her test a couple of months ago. I'm sure they will be fione but i can;t wait to get a phone call telling me that she has arrived safely!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family