We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Best prepaid for Ryanair? Net+ Caxton ICE or FairFX???

Options
Hi all,

I am reading about all those cards for quite a while already, but can't really decide which is the cheapest in a long run. It is ONLY for buying tickets from Ryanair and paying online with not well known companies so I don't care about charges for withdrawals etc.

I have Caxton global Traveller card at the moment, but I am not happy at all. At the beginning they did charge £1.50 for any transaction in £ only and no loading fee. Now I realised I have been charged this £1.50 fee for every single transaction I did with Ryanair (in euro and polish zlotys). I called Caxton and lady blamed Ryanair that they display price in euro but billing me in pounds which I quite don't understand how it supposed to work. Now I was booking 3 hostels for my holiday so effectively I had to pay £1.50 for each reservation as I was not confident enough to pay them with my proper credit card = £4.50 wasted.

Neteller (Net+) - it looks all great - no loading fees when transfering from bank, however one info is very confusing on the website.
Net+ Prepaid MasterCard and Net+ Virtual Prepaid MasterCard Fees Summary

GBP
USD
EUR
CAD
SEK
DKK
AUD
JPY
Point of Sale (POS)
free
free
free
free
free
free
free
free
ATM charge per withdrawal*
Foreign Exchange (at ATM or POS)
2.95%
2.95%
2.95%
2.95%
2.95%
2.95%
2.95%
2.95%
Card/PIN replacement and cancellation*
*Not applicable for the Net+ Virtual Prepaid MasterCard.

Does it mean that for any of this hostel transactions or Ryanair ticket in different currency I would have to pay 2.95% fee?

FairFX - There is no fee to load the card or any annual fees. You do not need to
keep a given balance on the card.
There is a 1.5% transaction fee on all transactions placed on the FairFX
Anywhere Card.
The FairFX Anywhere card is free to load and incurs a 1.5% fee on all
point of sale transactions and ATM transactions. There is no flat charge
for withdrawing cash, only the transaction fee.

The base currency of a FairFX Anywhere Card is Sterling. If you were to
use the card in a country where Sterling is not the local currency, the
exchange rate would be the wholesale MasterCard® market rate,
approximately 0.3% from the interbank / spot rate for that day. FairFX
do not take any further commissions or fees when you do this.
Accordingly, the FairFX Currency cards represent fantastic value for use
in any currency.

ICE - did not read much, but just compared quickly to FairFX and FairFX seems to be better value for money.

So overall I think Fair FX would be the best as most of the tickets I buy are around 30-60 pounds. So I would have to pay them £1.50 fee after 2-3 tickets purchases whether CaxtonFX charge me that amount for one payment.

Does everyone agree with my recommendation?
Waiting for some constructive feedbacks and examples. Many thanks,
Daniel

Best prepaid card for Ryanair tickets and online purchases in different currencies ? 7 votes

Caxton FX
28% 2 votes
Net +
28% 2 votes
ICE
0% 0 votes
Fair FX
42% 3 votes

Comments

• jno
    Options
    I am on the other side of the Ryan Air destination and wantto pay in EUROS - I would like to know what prepaid Mastercards are out there in EUROs?
  • MrTomato
    Options
    jno wrote: »
    I am on the other side of the Ryan Air destination and wantto pay in EUROS - I would like to know what prepaid Mastercards are out there in EUROs?

FairFX have one for Euros. They have 3 different cards, GBP, USD and EUR
  • If the Net+ card is set up in the same currency that you'll be using to pay for your hostel transactions and Ryanair flights, you won't be charged the 2.95% fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport