edited 11 July 2010 at 11:55AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
72 replies 24.5K views

Replies

• edited 15 August 2011 at 1:03PM
    lil_chicken_legslil_chicken_legs Forumite
    35 posts
    edited 15 August 2011 at 1:03PM
    I got an email today from toothfairy..
    We have made a number of attempts to contact you by email and SMS to discuss the outstanding balance on the short-term loan you took out on 08.07.11 and you have made no effort to return these enquiries.

We have also warned you in advance of additional charges you have incurred.

As we make clear to all our customers our product is intended to be a short term financial solution. If the loan is extended this product can become expensive.

As we have not heard from you and not received payment we have been left with no alternative and are writing to advise you that this debt will be passed on to our Debt Collections Agency in the next 24 hours.

As per the terms of the contract between [merchnat] and yourself (see http://www.toothfairyfinance.com/terms.html) instructing the Debt Collections Team will add a further GBP 150 to the balance you owe. Debt recovery agents will call at the addresses we have on file for you until they are able to successfully collect the sums you owe. If our debt recovery agents, after a reasonable attempt at the addresses on file, cannot successfully recover the monies owed by you, we will issue a claim against you in the County Court for the outstanding balance plus the further charges and recovery costs that have been incurred.

You should be aware that a County Court Judgement against your name will remain for 6 years on the National Credit Records (NCR) accessed by employers, insurers and banks and may result in:-

a) difficulties in obtaining future credit
    b) difficulties in obtaining a mortgage
    c) being questioned at a County Court as to your financial circumstances
    d) any current employers being informed s o an application against your earnings can be issued
    e) difficulty in securing future employment due to an adverse credit history and credit score
    f) a Warrant of Execution and bailiffs being instructed

We will apply for a County Court Judgement followed by a Warrant of Execution and a Bailiff order to seize goods from your addresses to be issued simultaneously to the County Court Judgement. This Warrant authorises Certificated Bailiffs to seize goods at the addresses held on file for you (including what may be your family home). These goods will be taken and put up for sale at public auction until the total amount you owe is satisfied.

The initial cost of issuing a County Court Judgement is GBP 45, this will be charged to your account on the date of issue.
    The further court costs including solicitors time, application for a Warrant of Execution and the appointment of Bailiffs will also be added to what you owe.

As you can see this will ultimately cost you a great deal more if you do not deal with this matter now.

It will also cause you a great deal of difficulty for many years to come.

We strongly recommend that you settle this amount immediately to limit further costs, preserve your credit rating and your ability to gain full time employment.

Please immediately pay 626 by either:

1) Paying online by visiting http://www.toothfairyfinance.com and clicking Pay Now;
    or
    2) Make a bank transfer for GBP 626 to:
    Barclays Bank
    Account number 93462382
    Sort code 20-50-94
    Ref: Use your mobile number (x) as a reference so we can match it correctly

ALSO please EMAIL us confirming that this has been done to stop the debt being passed to the Debt Collection Team and further charges being incurred.

If you ignore this and our debt recovery agency is instructed it will be a short matter of time before th e CCJ is issued and Bailiffs are instructed to seize goods.

We look forward to hearing from you confirming a speedy resolution of this matter.

If you have already repaid and this is not reflected in the above statement please contact us so we can investigate this further and correct your file.

Yours Sincerely
    This whole letter is a joke. They have not made any attempt to contact me other than auto generated nuisance texts and an occasional threatening email. Then they have the cheek to say in capitals to 'EMAIL US' when it is actually impossible to email them, since everything gets bounced back.

Im sure that email contains a number of errors too relating to charges and possble action?
  • You still aren't dealing with this are you?

You do owe them money, you can't simply generate support on MSE and hope it goes away.

They are entirely correct, it will be a short while until the CCJ lands. On your current form you will probably ignore it so the Courts will rule in their favour.

You won't pay so next come the bailiffs.
  • Apples2 wrote: »
    You still aren't dealing with this are you?

You do owe them money, you can't simply generate support on MSE and hope it goes away.

They are entirely correct, it will be a short while until the CCJ lands. On your current form you will probably ignore it so the Courts will rule in their favour.

You won't pay so next come the bailiffs.

Are you serious? Im asking for advice and support. Toothfairy are notorious for their corrupt practices. They cannot simply add on extortionate charges and send baliffs round. They also cannot claim I havent been in touch, when I have sent many emails which are rejected.

I have never said I do not owe them money, and considering I am offering to pay £100 a month for a £600 loan I do not think this is unreasonable.

Can I ask why you feel the need to be so smarmy and rude to someone you have never met who is in the midst of a scary, awful financial crisis and is asking for help?
  • I have never said I do not owe them money, and considering I am offering to pay £100 a month for a £600 loan I do not think this is unreasonable.

Can I ask why you feel the need to be so smarmy and rude to someone you have never met who is in the midst of a scary, awful financial crisis and is asking for help?

We've been through this before, I thought you were making progress.

STOP with the silly emails, WRITE to them and post it recorded delivery.
    They are NOT obligated to accept ANY of your payment proposals.

Write to them and complain
    Moonpod|15 Lyndhurst Terrace|Hampstead | London NW3 5QA

Complain to the FOS
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

Report them to the OFT
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2010/116-10

Just do SOMETHING, Do Anything except bury your head in the sand in the vain hope it doesn't exist.

Failing action, just follow their lead, they ignore you, so you just ignore them. Throw the letters in the bin.

• Can I just reiterate , my loan isn't actually due yet. I havent missed a payment with them since last october. I still have two more days to sort out something with them.

As for writing to them, I will, however noone seems to know exactly where their address is. And until I get paid on the 27th I physically have no money so couldnt afford to post anything, especially by recorded delivery. So for now, emailing is the only option. Im sure itll still show if it ever went to courts I have made repeated attempts to come to a resolution with my series of emails in my sentbox I have sent, so for now.

Of course they do not have to accept a payment plan, but I think theyd have a hard time explaining why not to a court when Im in financial difficulties and was willing to pay £100 a month.

They also exhibit a shocking lack of knowledge when it comes to the law, they CANNOT send anyone to my 'family' home to seize goods. They have no legal way in which to do this at all. Im also pretty sure they cannot charge me £150 for passing it onto debt collectors too.

I should note, I have a LOT of creditors who I have managed to successfully write to and negotiate payment plans, the reason I am on here asking for help from you all is that toothfairy are notoriously corrupt and use scare tactics and disregard the law, so I came to this community for help.
  • Apples with sharks like TFF they need to send letters with just proff of postage because they refuse to sign for recorded mail. At least with proof of postage they cannot refuse it.

It may also be of note that I cannot find a single person who has had a door visit or a CCJ off these poeple.

I hope nobody pay these lot back because they are just legalised loan sharks and it would teach them a lesson if they made a loss.
  • Apples with sharks like TFF they need to send letters with just proff of postage because they refuse to sign for recorded mail. At least with proof of postage they cannot refuse it.

It may also be of note that I cannot find a single person who has had a door visit or a CCJ off these poeple.

I hope nobody pay these lot back because they are just legalised loan sharks and it would teach them a lesson if they made a loss.

micheal, what is the best address to use for correspondence?
  • micheal, what is the best address to use for correspondence?

Have you considered the one on their Website per chance?
    Hang on, I stated which one it was on my reply #45

I'm starting to see the funny side now :beer::beer:
  • Apples2 wrote: »
    Have you considered the one on their Website per chance?
    Hang on, I stated which one it was on my reply #45

I'm starting to see the funny side now :beer::beer:

Ive read multiple reports of that address not belonging to toothfairy, and as michael said, some mail not being delivered at all.

So, on a debt forum where everyone is desperate for help, I figured there was NO HARM in asking someone who CLEARLY KNOWS A BIT MORE THAN OTHERS what address in HIS EXPERIENCE WOULD BE BETTER.

IS THAT OK APPLES?

You really have nothing better to do, do you!?
  • Doesn't matter who it belongs to, they aren't going to reply anyway, which is why I suggested you complain to the FOS and report them to the OFT.

I gave links to help you.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support