We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How to pre-order currency ?

Options
Fairly basic question here - I must be missing something - hopefully you can help me?
I need some euros. This website tells me if I pre-order with say Travelex i get a better deal than just buying at the airport. But when I go to the website to pre-order, I have to pay with a debit/credit card (which will cost me as I'm with Lloyds)

I was hoping to pay with cash to avoid the load on my Lloyds account so how can I pre-order then pay with cash please? Or, if someone can do the maths (?) Am I better off just buying at the airport with cash (ie worse exchange rate) or pre-ordering and paying with debit card on internet (ie better rate but current account charges from Lloyds) I'm talking around £750.

Many thanks for any advice (perhaps it doesnt matter for this amount?)

Comments

• ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    you could pre-order and pay by cheque with Crown Currency...though they post the currency to you, you don't pick up at the airport...so depends on when you are going.

I'm not sure if there is a way to pre-order and pay with cash.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    Some places that offer delivery accept payment by bank transfer.

I think some bureaux such as ICE will let you preorder online and then pay cash, but I can't remember for sure. Also, if you live in London, there are about 4 or 5 places that you can just walk into that will give you a better rate than travelex and will take cash.
  • cowbagger
    cowbagger Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for your suggestions guys - as I have time to spare I will order for home delivery and take the hit on the debit card, but avoid the stress of having to do it at the airport.

Still confused as to how we're supposed to follow Martin's advice though i.e. order in advance yet avoid paying by card?????????
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    cowbagger wrote: »
    thanks for your suggestions guys - as I have time to spare I will order for home delivery and take the hit on the debit card, but avoid the stress of having to do it at the airport.

A lot of the home delivery places accept cheque and/or bank transfer. Choose one of these and you have no need to take the hit on the debit card.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    cowbagger wrote: »

Still confused as to how we're supposed to follow Martin's advice though i.e. order in advance yet avoid paying by card?????????

Crown currency by bank transfer, sign up with them, ie give them your email addy and within a few days they will send you a cancelled currency rate, the last email a few days back was for delivery in sept at 1.25 euro to the pound
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure