Fun free things for couples (not that...!) ;)

Options
Not sure if this has been covered (so many posts to search!) but my boyfriend and I live in a small flat and we both work from home, so tend to get a bit cabin-feverish somethimes. We have no money to spend on ourselves right now, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for anything fun we can do outside the house for free (or very cheap)? We are limited by how far we can walk as public transport is a rip-off in Brighton. His idea of "quality time" is watching the TV, but I really wish we could do things together outside the house. Even going to the pub is too expensive! :beer:

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    Options
    WE go to feed the ducks, its cheap and its a nice thing to do.
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Buy a cheap kite/football/frisbee/boomerang/etc. and find somewhere close to use them.
    That's Numberwang!
  • looneyleo
    Options
    Look on this weeks email from Martin. There is free entry to National Trust properties on Saturday.

Other than that it is quite hard. Do you enoy wildlife? Maybe get into spotting different types of British wildlife...hubby and I went adder spotting and found one first time!!! Shocked but good fun! or how about foraging for free food. Plenty about at the moment...we are going mushroom picking this weekend...check out books/websites for tips.
    How about a trip to your local library? There is always things going on there, talks, presentations etc. You could also pick some books to read for the week and hire DVD's/CD's very cheaply for the week. The ideas are coming now! Just unplug the TV, get out a pack of cards or board game and play games for a change. How about visiting friends and taking a game/bottle of wine with you for an evening in someone elses company. Is there any volunteering you can do together locally...doesn't cost anything and can be fun...gets you out and about together. Good Luck!
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Get on the waiting list for an allotment. Great exercise, fresh air, wonderful food and good fun.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try going to your local tourist office - they often have (usually just a typed list) details of free stuff. Why not try to get to know the attractions round your local area? Museums, art galleries, stately homes, gardens, etc - a lot of these are free or at least very cheap; for instance, the National Gardens Scheme includes a lot of small gardens, and you can often get to see anything from 4 to 10 gardens for 2 quid. Even if you think it's not your thing, it's worth breaking out of your comfort zone every now and again.
  • angelic_charm
    Options
    Hi

Some good posts on here. I love a challenge of a cheap day out. Getting a bike was great for me and my partner.Ok it was buying the bike that meant forking out but you get to see some great countryside and not something you would do in a car!!

The volunteer element is a good idea. I volunteered to be a steward at the local theatre and got to see shows for free!! Had to work but would get to watch the shows too...

I volunteered at a local centre with the winged fellowship and got free accommodation and food. Picked a horse racing week and went was treated like a celebrity with the disabled group and got good seats. It was hard work but worked hard and played hard!

Restaurants do half price meals on a week day if you can get down early enough. There might be a social group you could join that you are interested in. May involve a bit of research!! I joined an open circle with a spiritialist group for example.

How about being a mystery shopper. You can visit places for the day as well as getting paid to shop!!

There are also internet sites that publish how to get free tickets for an audience on a tv set. Fancy a bit of Trisha or pop idols. Some sites advertise for extras too. Get free food, day out and get paid for it"!

Hope this gives you some ideas. You always have this site too. They are advertising free tickets to the ideal home exhibition!! You could be lucky as they have fifty up for grabs!!

Good luck!!:T
  • looneyleo
    Options
    Had another thought...why don't you look into doing a course at college either together...or individually. You could do something educational or just for fun...there are lots of courses for free/subsidised etc...it will get you out of the house and stimulate your brain in different ways too.
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    Not sure if this has been covered (so many posts to search!) but my boyfriend and I live in a small flat and we both work from home, so tend to get a bit cabin-feverish somethimes. We have no money to spend on ourselves right now, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for anything fun we can do outside the house for free (or very cheap)? We are limited by how far we can walk as public transport is a rip-off in Brighton. His idea of "quality time" is watching the TV, but I really wish we could do things together outside the house. Even going to the pub is too expensive! :beer:

Thanks! :D
    you could have a look at the free cinema tickets thread on freebies as Brighton usually seems to be included.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • Thanks for your suggestions everyone! Alas, the beautiful countryside involves a steep several mile trek uphill to the South Downs, but maybe we should be getting fit anyway! And I definitely want to put my name down for an allotment, but the waiting lists here close in something stupid like March as they are so in demand. Lots of good ideas for me to follow up! :D
  • Sherbetlover
    Options
    We tried bingo on the free nights recently and were surprised by how much fun we had. Plus we came home £10 and £15 better off on the last two times we went!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure