Money Moral Dilemma: Should I drink the milk?

Options

Comments

• Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Keep the milk, use it and leave out a note saying that you are repeating your instructions for no milk delivery despite the free samples.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't use it.
    Whatever the strict legal position, this could be either coercion or persuasion. You have said no. Leave it there to make the point.
    But yes check to make sure it is not next doors and a simple mistake,
  • IDProtected
    IDProtected Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    fitshase wrote: »
    I would leave it out. It's obviously their mistake. However, make sure it's not on your property as some local burglar could take it as a sign you are away on holiday and you could be woken up one night by them breaking in.

It's similar to the catalogues we get (Avon, Bettaware, etc). They all shove one through the door then knock a week later asking for it back The Avon lady yesterday was extremely rude and impatient while I had to go and hunt for it so I told her that I don't want any more catalogues and if they post it again, it will be put in the recycling as unsolicited mail ;-)

Not quite the same - the Avon/Betterware/Kleeneze people are not leaving you goods and asking you to pay for them, they are just leaving you a catalogue to give you the opportunity to purchase. If you politely explain that you do not use the products and do not want further catalogues, they will be pleased to take you off their list. After all, (at least as far as Avon goes), the catalogues are not free, and one less to buy if the person is never going to buy from it, is a saving for him or her.
    Owed @ LBM, including mtg: £85961.15, As of 1st August 2016: £14481.01 :j
    September 2016; out of debt and have savings for the saddest reason. RIP Aunty, I'll never forget you:(

Never begin a sentence with "And". Unless you are the Goo Goo Dolls that is.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This happened to me some time agao. I left it outside with a note on top saying that I had not ordered this and did not want it. I rang the dairy and was able to leave an answerphone message saying what had happened and what I had done. The milk was collected a couple of days later.

I am confident that, legally, I could have kept and used the milk as it was unsolicited goods but it was either a genuine mistake or a means of pressuring me into trying their product. Either way, I preferred to let them have it back.

So, I recommend that this person does the same.
  • we_gone_bananas_2
    Options
    Surely it comes down to what is morally right rather than legal wranglings over a couple of pints of milk..

If you want to use it, do so. Of course you should expect to pay for it, when you telephone the guys again to let them know! (They may surprise you and tell you not to pay as it was their mistake!!):j Then repeat your request that they should not leave any more. You could also do the old fashion thing and leave a little note with the bottles :-)

If you don't want to use it don't, just let them know their mistake!
  • Nostalgia_and_I
    Options
    Yum Yum banana milkshakes! Keep the milk, accept it as a free gift.
    Little Pickle due to arrive 08/07/11 :)
  • Essex123
    Essex123 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For me it would depend on what the guy was like when he was trying to talk you into taking deliveries.

If he was pushy and it was not a pleasant experience, I might be tempted to write a letter to the dairy head office telling them that and that you consider him leaving milk is unwanted and harrassment. Furthermore, you will be charging them a storage and/or disposal fee.

If he wasn't pushy and you feel it was a genuine mistake, I would probably leave the milk where it is and put a polite note with it for him to read the following day.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I would leave it outside. Only thing is though you might receive another 4 litres and if milk starts to build up outside your house, people might think you have gone on holiday and you could get burgled!! OK maybe put it in the fridge and see what happens. :-)
  • diesel1950
    diesel1950 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I think you shoul drink the milk. You have tried to get them to take it back,and as you say it will go off. If they then try to charge dont pay.I would try to ring again,tell then again not to deliver.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have the Milko arrested for fly-tipping ;)

Seriously, if you have a contact number for the dairy, you could ring and ask them to take it back. You could also ask your neighbours if they had ordered milk and, if it's theirs, hand it over.

It's a shame to waste it, but I'd be worried that someone would interpret it as a request for regular deliveries if you took and used what was deposited...

Just have to read the udder posts here and see what the majority think... (sorry; couldn't help myself). :cool:

x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport