'NYC Biz Class £500 for 2 and you can use your mobile!' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• catnicexcatnicex Forumite
    34 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi Martin,
    just to say that it is worth noting that Ryanair already offered this service last year on 50 routes (for sure on Stansted-Pisa where I usually flight) and it was possible to make calls too.

However, it was a test...and it seems that they had some problems with the company supplying the service for them.
    I am not allowed to post links, but if you google for example flightglobal + ryanair + mobile phone, the news should come up.
    Indeed I haven't seen this service anymore recently.

Best regards
  • dmg24dmg24
    33.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am intrigued how you did not know more about this route - it is advertised as Club World LCY, with the SNN immigration stop as a perk. I am going in a few weeks, but chose Heathrow as the LCY service does not appeal to me as much (different cabin layout, lounge service, spa etc).

You weren't on the flight where they offloaded someone in SNN were you? ;)

I was also aware of the Ryanair service, and know of a few people who used it with no problems. Some (if not all?) of the planes still have the little phone light.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • danclyondanclyon Forumite
    5 Posts
    There's no technical reason that anyone has been able to set out as to why you shouldn't be allowed to leave your mobile on for the whole flight, no matter whether there is onboard service (a femto-cell that connects via satellite to make "the network") and the 10kft thing is only because below that you are still able to receive a strong enough signal from the ground networks to achieve a connection. The belief that they "interfere with aircraft systems" has to my knowledge never been proven, in the same way that they don't interfere with hospital equipment!

I took a flight a few years back with a GSM phone from Cambridge to Amsterdam on a very small plane - and had mobile coverage until about 30 miles off the coast, and then picked up the Netherlands networks very shortly afterwards....the plane wasn't pressurised so we only hit 9k feet....

Anyway, now they have a way to make money of your phone being on, of course they are going to do it - and lets be honest, it's way cheaper than having to have a phone in every seat :-)

Of course, it's a bit of a pain for those of us that fancy a snooze to have the person next to you yelling into their phone.....
  • There is a problem with using your usual mobile on a place, rather than an on board system. Network operators have a limited number of channels they can use and the networks are designed to cover the ground. If a plane were flying over a busy area like Central London, there'd be so much interference from base stations operating on the same frequency, which would make it impossible to make a call. To test this out, have a ride on the London Eye. When your capsule is at the top, you will not be able to call anybody for this very reason

Danclyon was probably able to use his, as between Cambridge and Amsterdamn, there's no real dense urban environments which would use up all the available traffic frequencies
  • AlfmuttleyAlfmuttley Forumite
    14 Posts
    Interestingly (if your a geek like me!) the plane can carry enough fuel to fly from LCY to NY. The reason it doesn't is that if it did the runway at LCY is not long enough. You'd end up in the dock!:j
  • eslickeslick Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    now thought that was a good MSE deal NYC Biz Class £500 for 2 turns out its not a deal at all :)
  • iamsamiamsam Forumite
    106 Posts
    Using phones on board can cause problems with the base stations on the ground, because there'd be many mobiles all trying to rapidly switch between different cells (coverage areas) at the same time. If there's a picocell on the plane (a new coverage area, giving roaming access over the atlantic), the phone will connect to that in preference (especially at altitude, which is why you're only allowed to switch the phone on when the plane is cruising).

Whether phones can interfere with electronic equipment is debated, but the antenna has automatic gain (i.e. when the signal is stronger, the phone reduces the power to the antenna - why you run through the battery much faster with weak signal), so it follows that it's more likely to cause a problem if the phones on-board are trying desperately to cling on to the signal on the ground instead of the cell on the plane.
  • edited 7 July 2010 at 10:57AM
    blindmanblindman Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 July 2010 at 10:57AM
    So which hotel did you win on Priceline and at what price?

Hope you read my guide :D

Didn't see the reported win in this thread !
  • dmg24dmg24
    33.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blindman wrote: »
    So which hotel did you win on Priceline and at what price?

Hope you read my guide :D

Didn't see the reported win in this thread !

I should have some reports by the end of the day. Leaving it to the last minute ... again! ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • blindmanblindman Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I should have some reports by the end of the day. Leaving it to the last minute ... again! ;)

I was actually asking Martin ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News