We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Beware the mobile phone upgrade

trazer985
trazer985 Posts: 6 Forumite
Passing on advice for what happened to me by an unscrupulous O2CPW seller.

I was on O2, loyal customer for years, when i get my 18 monthly upgrade call from CPW (details were passed by O2 that I was due for expiry). I was told it was my last month of the contract and that I should go in ASAP or I'd lose my number. So, in I go, am told I'm a day too late to renew, my old contract has expired, so I have to get a new phone contract,

All is well, or so it seems. Thing is, that last bit was a lie. Contracts with these types are ongoing, and only 1 bill. Also included in my little fix up, was converting my old billing to online billing to an email address they made for me (only found this out many months down the line).

A bank check shows i'm paying 2 phone bills, so I call them up, each telling me its the other one's responsibility. Total amount gone on this ghost phone bill is £250. I contact OFCOM who take up my case. Awarded against me because it shows a point of contact on their logs (i.e. that I had contacted my old phone contracts provider to ask something, thus showing awareness that I had this contract - this is untrue).

He failed to question the logic of this, with the unusual series of events that must have taken place for that to be true. I'd have to take out a new contract, then call up my old one that I'm no longer using, to have a chat about something.


Soooo, moral of the story, don't trust a phone salesman (durrr), and check with your phone contract provider whether they are making it up or not. All their shops have a speeddial into the networks so call from there and double check what you've been told.

Regards
T

Comments

  • slenderkitten
    slenderkitten Posts: 1,121
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i have never had any problems like this i upgraded early each time so i dont quite understand your issue.
    My Signature is MY OWN!!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    trazer985 wrote: »


    Soooo, moral of the story, don't trust a phone salesman (durrr), and check with your phone contract provider whether they are making it up or not. All their shops have a speeddial into the networks so call from there and double check what you've been told.

    Regards
    T

    moral of the story is never trust any company to cancel any contract you signed up to
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.