HP DV9000 Nvidia Defect

Options
I brought a laptop from PC World in November 2007. the unit is a DV9576ea and cost me £899 after 10% discount

In March/April this year the laptop gained a fault where it would power on but not show a screen and seemed to not load in to windows. After doing some testing and diagnostics I confirmed the fault as a graphic's fault. When doing some research I discover that this is a manufacture defect with the nvidia chipset.

I confronted PC World and had to go through the hassle of contacting them by post. In which they contacted me and spoke to them over the phone. (after geting PC World to confirm the fault)

There customer service adviser explains to me that they would normally repair the product but because of the nature of the fault they have discovered the fault would happen again. Instead they where going to find how much they would pay me back towards a new laptop.

After half an hour they contacted me and said they would give me £300 towards a new machine, in which I instantlly felt insulted and rejected. The adviser then said they would talk to there manager and came back with a new figure and replyed with "I spoke to my manager and we would do it for 350 or 400".

I think this is unprofessional because they are unsure of the price in which they are valueing the laptop.

I then said I still dont accept this as the machine is worth more than that. they said that if I was unhappy I would have to write in explaining why. In which I did stating that as this is a large and known manufature the product should of been recalled. instead I have to contact you in regards to fixing this and now you are trying to offer me money that wont even replace the product for the equvilent specification.

They called again a few days later and offered me with £450 which I have still rejected and I have asked for a Replacement of the equvilent specifcation but they refused on the phone and said they dont have to do that all they need to do is offer me what they have.

I would like some help on this to what my legal right is because the specifcation of the product was quite unique which is the reason I purchased the laptop, the money they are offering wouldnt even come close to getting me the same thing. I carnt have a repair which I would of been happy with but they carnt because of the nature of the fault so now they are trying to fob me off with not even half the oringinal price of the laptop.

Can anyone help me in this position please?

Comments

• 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2010 at 8:20PM
    Options
    I had the exact same laptop and exact same fault but had the WEH cover so got a replacement like for like. It was good when it worked but i know how you feel.

They are however correct in allowing a partial refund which should be calculated by its expected life span.

Now at £450 for just over two and a half year, it means that they expect the laptop to last just over 5 years which is rather goods and perfectly reasonable IMHO.

Id grab it and run because all here seems kosher.
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    That's within the law. They can make a deduction for the use you've had.

£450 is a pretty decent offer for something that's 2 and a half years old - it implies an expected lifespan of 5 years, which for a laptop, is reasonable IMO.
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • SSTSparkz
    SSTSparkz Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    what about a replacement instead of a refund, to I have to accept a refund? can I just demand a replacement?
  • 4743hudsonj
    Options
    SSTSparkz wrote: »
    what about a replacement instead of a refund, to I have to accept a refund? can I just demand a replacement?

You cant demand it, but you are within your rights to argue for one but you would have to prove that a like for like replacement would be not disproportionately costly for the retailer when compared to a partial refund.

Take your money it seems reasonable. What your expecting is free use of a laptop for 2 and a half years, it just doesnt happen.
  • SSTSparkz
    SSTSparkz Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2010 at 1:25AM
    Options
    in my eyes it's what im loosing to be honest, that laptop has loads of features that half the laptops these days include for the price there offering me. i've had a look and there are a few on there website that are around the £500 mark which is more towards the spec than £450. what can I do in terms of claiming money for the extra battery and charger I got for the laptop that I didnt get to long ago?
  • 4743hudsonj
    Options
    SSTSparkz wrote: »
    in my eyes it's what im loosing to be honest, that laptop has loads of features that half the laptops these days include for the price there offering me. i've had a look and there are a few on there website that are around the £500 mark which is more towards the spec than £450. what can I do in terms of claiming money for the extra battery and charger I got for the laptop that I didnt get to long ago?

nothing unfortunately.

I know how you feel but you have had use out of it, just think of it like this, if it broke at the 5 year mark, i doubt you would expecting them to give any money at all to a new laptop. So half way towards that, theyre willing to give half, which is perfectly fair. In the long run your no worse off (half the time, half the investment)

The DV series was a cheap crappy series that had a lot of features for not a lot of money, for me, i got a £1100 (reduced) sony viao that was just up to spec in some areas (ok it was better in others too). Quality doesnt come cheap.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seriously? If your car got scrapped, would you claim the value of your air freshener to your insurance company? Or claim the value of the dvd's if your dvd player broke? :p

sell them on ebay or see if anywhere recycles them

It may have just been bad timing you only bought them recently but thats pretty much all it is.

Sorry if i sound rude but what they've offered you is actually a really good deal. You have to remember, computers are practically "out of date" before you even get them home, meaning the value of computers can depreciate faster than say.....a dining table or sofa.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • 4743hudsonj
    Options
    Seriously? If your car got scrapped, would you claim the value of your air freshener to your insurance company? Or claim the value of the dvd's if your dvd player broke? :p

Not the best of examples:rotfl:

Both of them could easily be moved to a new item ;)

Your point still stands though, your not really covered for purchases made outside of the contract.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not the best of examples:rotfl:

Both of them could easily be moved to a new item ;)

Your point still stands though, your not really covered for purchases made outside of the contract.

Extra battery and charger could be easily moved also, albeit it would be limited to the models of laptop it would fit but you generally find they're generic to a degree.

But dont pick on me tonight, i do have a valid reason (this once) for being thick :(
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • delicious11
    Options
    I am having the same problem with my HP laptop which I bought in 2008. It is now out of warranty now but I would still like to get some money back if possible seen as it is a manufacturing fault that is causing the issue .
    Did you take out extended warranty on your machine ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure