Isn't Paypal Compulsory?

Options
I buy and sell a little on ebay pretty regularly. I know as a seller I have to offer Paypal as a payment method so how would I stand on the following?

I was bidding on a set of wheels (didn't win them so it's all just a matter of interest anyway) where the start price was £100 and postage was offered at £4 (nowhere near enough to send a set of wheels anywhere) and the Paypal option was there in the listing.

Lower down and not too obvious was the statement "Collection only and cash payment only" (or words to that effect).

I would have collected them anyway as they were only a spit from me but couldn't a buyer insist on posting at the advertised rate if they were the winning bidder?

Comments

• BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose they could open an item not received dispute but that wouldn't force the seller to post them, buyer would just get a refund.

Would all be a bit pointless really and buyer would be wasting time. Maybe a polite message urging the seller to revise their postage to collection only in the listing specifics would be better and save everyone's time.
  • Harry_Flashman
    Harry_Flashman Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    Options
    How about insisting on paying by Paypal?
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That would be the seller's own daft fault when the buyer goes home and opens item not received dispute, and seller can't prove anything ;)
  • Harry_Flashman
    Options
    That's the point though. I've read all the advice on here about making sure it's cash only for a collection sale. But if Ebay insist on including the Paypal option to pay and the buyer insists on using Paypal, how does that work?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It doesn't. Basically you MUST offer Paypal as a payment method, but you can specify PICK UP only. In which case, to cover themselves, most people but a hideously high amount for postage with Paypal and then offer a discount (of the postage amount) for a cash pick up.

You cannot get around having to offer Paypal, however a seller does not have to sell. They will leave themselves open to a NPS strike, but having said that, a buyer who pays cash, leaves themselves open to a NPB if they pay cash. Swings and roundabouts, but someone has to trust someone else.
  • Harry_Flashman
    Options
    Hmmm - dodgy stuff indeed ain't it?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Not really. There has to be protection for both buyer and seller. But there will always be a loophole for scammers. Invariably people are not out to scam, but read these boards often enough and you will feel they are!
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sellers leave themselves open to far worse that an ebay strike if they accept Paypal on a collection item, there's been several on here where the buyer collects & then opens an INR, Paypal sides with the buyer, so the seller has to refund.
  • Harry_Flashman
    Options
    What's INR?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Item not received.

If the seller cannot prove delivery, with online tracking, then the buyer automatically gets a full refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure