first time buyers, lots of work to do to perk it up - some basic questions?

Hello

We are waiting to hear on an offer for a house we want as first time buyers. It looks pretty sound and brand new kitchen but needs quite a bit of decoration work to get it up to scratch.

We are really enthusiastic about doing this and have some friends for help and advice as well as an expectation for labour for other bits.

We would be very grateful for answers on a whole load of questions. Some fairly simple to you guys I bet!

In no particular order:

1) is it simple to get rid of artexing on ceiling? Job for us or the professionals?
2) Is replacing internal doors as easy as it looks? ie unscrew the hinges and add new door?
3) What sort of labour costs would it be on replacing a bathroom suite?
4) and sticking with bathroom theme - if we got one of those baths raised with feet - if you see what i mean - do we replace the flooring after it is installed or before?
5) likewise tiles do they get added after new bathroom in place? Are old tiles easy to remove?
6) that bobbly pattern that some people have on walls - is that wall paper and is that easy to get off?

Thats probably enough to get started! Bet you are rolling around with laughter at the thought of me doing this but clearly knowing nothing... there'll be more to come...

:)
Debt free March 2010
Focussing on babies and paying off the mortgage! :)

Replies

• keith969keith969 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    pollyhelen wrote: »
    1) is it simple to get rid of artexing on ceiling? Job for us or the professionals?
    2) Is replacing internal doors as easy as it looks? ie unscrew the hinges and add new door?
    3) What sort of labour costs would it be on replacing a bathroom suite?
    4) and sticking with bathroom theme - if we got one of those baths raised with feet - if you see what i mean - do we replace the flooring after it is installed or before?
    5) likewise tiles do they get added after new bathroom in place? Are old tiles easy to remove?
    6) that bobbly pattern that some people have on walls - is that wall paper and is that easy to get off?

1) - not really, its probably simpler to get a plasterer to plaster over it smooth.
    2) - depends. You usually have to rebate the hinges on the door, that's a mallet and chisel job. Then installing the handles will usually need some drilling and more mallet and chisel work. You may also need to take a bit off the door's height.
    3) - That's a 'how long is a piece of string' question.
    4) - before.
    5) - Old tiles are usually pretty easy to remove with a bolster. You'd normally tile after any changes to the plumbing but before fitting sink/loo etc
    6) - Who knows, if its woodchip wallpaper then yes, get a steam stripper.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    31.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pollyhelen wrote: »
    Hello

We are waiting to hear on an offer for a house we want as first time buyers. It looks pretty sound and brand new kitchen but needs quite a bit of decoration work to get it up to scratch.

We are really enthusiastic about doing this and have some friends for help and advice as well as an expectation for labour for other bits.

We would be very grateful for answers on a whole load of questions. Some fairly simple to you guys I bet!

In no particular order:

1) is it simple to get rid of artexing on ceiling? Job for us or the professionals? For the professionals. You either reboard and skim over, or if your plasterer is brave and the artex not too thick then he can scrape off the worst protrusions and reskim over it.
    2) Is replacing internal doors as easy as it looks? ie unscrew the hinges and add new door? No it's not that easy usually. You need to make the door fit usually as houses move and doors usually need to be planed down, and with a new door you have to chip out where the hinges go and the gubbins for the door handles.
    3) What sort of labour costs would it be on replacing a bathroom suite? Piece of string question - it depends on what you are having done - electrics, tiling etc. But you could have the suite fitted for £500 (no less than that really) and budget around £20 a square metre for tiling?
    4) and sticking with bathroom theme - if we got one of those baths raised with feet - if you see what i mean - do we replace the flooring after it is installed or before? Replace the tiles first - prep work for the waste and water feeds will be needed before you tile though.
    5) likewise tiles do they get added after new bathroom in place? Are old tiles easy to remove? People do it different ways but with a shower tray or a fitted bath, you would install those first, then the tiles, then everything else.
    6) that bobbly pattern that some people have on walls - is that wall paper and is that easy to get off? If you pick at it and it comes off then yes, it's woddchip paper. It is a PITA to remove but more importantly, it's usually a sign that the plasterwork was shot and so the paper disguises that. I would budget for a reskim of the walls and be grateful if it turns out that it doesn't need it!

Thats probably enough to get started! Bet you are rolling around with laughter at the thought of me doing this but clearly knowing nothing... there'll be more to come...

:)

Good Luck!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • spadooshspadoosh Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) id give it a go not too difficult and plasterers will probably charge £14+ pm2,
    2)plenty of videos on youtube
    3) loads of variables but circa 2k
    4)before
    5)dito after plumbing before fittings
    6) woodchip is certainly not easy to remove, will be a pain in the !!!, and will take days to get rid of it all but yeh u should do it!
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    can believe mule got expleeted!?!
  • thanks all three that is really helpful. think it might well be woodchip and i think it has to go! Does that mean we remove and then maybe plaster over - or can we just be done with it and plaster over straightaway?

Helpful re bathroom, what i meant was what would be the labour on actually fitting a 3 piece suite? I know friends who can tile and help us with floor (now i know what order to do them in!)

This is great!
    Thanks
    Debt free March 2010
    Focussing on babies and paying off the mortgage! :)
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    definateley DO NOT plaster over it, After a few years when the paper peels away from the walls you'll find the plaster comes too!
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    and if the bathroom is a straight replacement id give that a go. If the pipes have stop cocks its just a case of turning them off and attaching the new pipework, not as bad as most think!
  • wallbashwallbash
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the long thread
    First time renovation . Will give you ideas what can be achieved
    with a little patience and a lot of enthusiasm.

Ps I will draw your attention to #1953 around page 98
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    wow wall i want your house.... as it was!!That looks like a qood project! Ssorry, u couldnt direct me to some after pics?!?
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    no worries.... spotted em! good job!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides