T-Mobile Dongle-Help!

Just wondering if anyone has any advice.

December 2008 I took out a 24 month contract with T-Mobile for a mobile internet dongle. The deal included I got a free mini laptop, netbook thing.

This was whilst I was living in Northern Ireland. From the moment I got the thing there was barely any signal. I moved back to Bristol just before xmas 2009, and have since lived in properties that have had broadband included. I've used the dongle a maximum of 5 times in the last 18 months, when staying away for the night etc and each time the signal has been very poor.

I also managed to leave the flaming laptop in Northern Ireland, new in the packaging as was planning to ebay it. So never got to claw back any money that way.

I pay £25 per month for absolutely nothing, and have been advised I can put the contract down to the lowest tariff in the 23rd month. Great!

Any ideas if I can get out of this now. Seeing that money come out of my account each month infuriates me. To know I'll have paid £600 over 2 years for something Ive never used, and has never really worked makes me want to go to T-Mobiles offices and throw rocks at it!
LBM January 2017 £34k will have paid back finally by my DFD May 2021
got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩

Comments

• Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    No, you wanted to get a free laptop and you got it. That is for what you are paying.
  • chris1973
    chris1973 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 June 2010 at 9:40PM
    Basically mobile networks are variable and highly subject to local terrain and even how thick the walls are in your house.

Taking out a mobile contract without testing it on PAYG for several months first, is akin to buying a car on finance without ever seeing it and taking it for a test drive. So you have to accept those risks.

Still at least you got a laptop out of it (Its not their fault that YOU lost it!!), many people get an 18 month+ contract, obtain a service for 1 month and then the service vanishes and the network doesn't give a damn, but you'll still be expected to pay for the remaining 'xx' months.

Buyer Beware.
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure