MSE News: 4,000 London kids to get financial education

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"A programme to help educate teenagers in the capital on how to manage money has been launched this week ..."

Replies

• Former_MSE_DanFormer_MSE_Dan Former MSE
    1.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    bumpbumpbump
    Former MSE team member
  • Simon11Simon11 Forumite
    637 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    What about all the other kids in the UK?????????????????????

They get left out then?

This sounds like a one off program and will hardly touch the surface of teaching all of our kids the basics of finance.
    "No likey no need to hit thanks button!":p
    However its always nice to be thanked if you feel mine and other people's posts here offer great advice:D So hit the button if you likey:rotfl:
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done to all involved in getting this off the ground. Lets hope it's the start of something big...
  • d3mon4ngeld3mon4ngel Forumite
    366 Posts
    Simon11 wrote: »
    What about all the other kids in the UK?????????????????????

This is a good step forward, though I do agree with the above - financial ignorance is a nationwide problem, not just in London.

I do understand that without the government backing that fell through, it does need to start somewhere, but here's hoping something similar gets rolled out to the kids up here in the North and all over the country :)
    ::: Total Paid Since LBM (27/05/10): £4639.85 Official Debt Gone!! :T :::
    :A
    That money talks, I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
    ~ VSP2011: #104 ~
  • CaddymanCaddyman Forumite
    342 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    This is interesting, back in 1982, I and 10 other kids were taken out of mainstream maths at my school and were given two years of purely financial education. We were unable to comprehend the likes of cosines/tangents/logorithams etc. When I left school in 1984, I knew exactly how to run a bank account, look after my money, invest etc etc. After 26 years of hard graft, I retired last year at 42, so something came out of it. In short, anything that teaches kids financial responsibility gets my vote, but it must be made available to all school children, not just a selected few.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion