Police redundancies????

Options
I was aware of the possibility and have heard snippets but can anyone tell me any more detail ie whether its a definate and what forces/how many jobs are to go and what rank??

Certainly put the fear of god in me as niavely believed oh job to be safe

:eek:

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    No one here can tell you more than has been reported. I take it you have checked the news before posting?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • OnTheUp_2-2
    OnTheUp_2-2 Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options
    Err as much as I could.. but as I said I have only heard snippets, just thought an open discussion about it would be good as I am sure the other people facing the same. I just thought perhaps there were officers on the forum that may know more from their federations etc..
  • BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    OnTheUp wrote: »
    I was aware of the possibility and have heard snippets but can anyone tell me any more detail ie whether its a definate and what forces/how many jobs are to go and what rank??

Certainly put the fear of god in me as niavely believed oh job to be safe

:eek:

I doubt it would have much impact on crime but would certainly result in a serious drop in speeding fines.

My question of course is how on earth can they make policeman redundant? They don't actually exist do they? I have never seen one actually walking the beat.:rotfl:
  • OnTheUp_2-2
    OnTheUp_2-2 Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options
    Trust me that is not by the choice of many officers... They want to be out fighting crime, thats what alot signed up for, not to do hour upon hour of paperwork. the people that need to go are the pen pushers
  • Starrystarrynight
    Options
    One of the local forces in this area is outsourcing it's back office function. They reckon it will save a fortune. Probably won't be long before others follow suit.
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • surfdood1969_2
    Options
    Just to clarify no one has mention the word redundancy - the reduction in Officers is a strategic future perspective based on a the slowing down of recruitment over a period of time, albeit 12 months to 5 years.

The press will spin the crap to increase sales in papers!
  • Jacey53
    Jacey53 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    OnTheUp wrote: »
    Trust me that is not by the choice of many officers... They want to be out fighting crime, thats what alot signed up for, not to do hour upon hour of paperwork. the people that need to go are the pen pushers

The job does not end with an arrest; the paperwork (to a certain extent, is necessary) although i agree that it has increased hugely over the years.

If the "pen pushers" were dispensed with, more of that paperwork would fall onto police officers.

I think the thing that needs to go is the constant stream of new initiatives and targets. Police, as with all other public services, need to be able to concentrate on "core business" and stop having to try to sell themselves to the public by producing glossy booklets explaining what they do.
    Sealed Pot challenge 2011 member 1051 - aiming for £365
    Frugal living challenge 2011 £4044 or less!
    Make £11,000 in 2011 £0/£11,000
    Planning a hand-made Christmas 2011
  • BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    Jacey53 wrote: »
    The job does not end with an arrest; the paperwork (to a certain extent, is necessary) although i agree that it has increased hugely over the years.

If the "pen pushers" were dispensed with, more of that paperwork would fall onto police officers.

I think the thing that needs to go is the constant stream of new initiatives and targets. Police, as with all other public services, need to be able to concentrate on "core business" and stop having to try to sell themselves to the public by producing glossy booklets explaining what they do.

Amen to that, the amount of emails public sector employees recieve asking them how to reduce costs is unbelievable. Strangely the people at the top never consider reducing the amount of glossy pamphlets they send out advising everyone of their success stories :rotfl:

Its leaflet hell where I work, you can go anywhere without seeing huge piles of them.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jacey53 wrote: »

The same is true of education. As a teacher I spend much of my week on paperwork for targets/ to show how we been achieveing these largely meaningless targets. We also spend too long in meetings about new initiatives. The quality of my teaching has dropped because I have insufficient time to prepare lessons. We now have far more assistants in schools to do things like wall displays and photocopying. All of which we could manage ourselves in the past and still have time for preparation.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    where is the money coming from to pay for all of the civil servants that they are making redundant, most would get an enhanced package and the country couldnt afford the costs. Someone we know got 50K for a 15 years recently, the left and walked straight into another job lucky :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure