We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How much cleaning do I have to do before I move out??

2»

Comments

  • Gambit
    Gambit Posts: 584 Forumite
    If the gardnen is communal, surely the upkeep is down to the managing agent?
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

    :xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • Gambit wrote: »
    If the gardnen is communal, surely the upkeep is down to the managing agent?

    It's shared with the upstairs flat- no managing agents, my LL and LL of upstairs both rent out privately.
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • If the contract is silent on your duties re the garden, then its not really down to you and the LL cannot charge you for any work. You could sort it out but it would be out of your own good will rather than a contractual duty. As the garden is shared, it should be up to both LLs (or the Freeholder) to bear the cost of its upkeep.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Whatever it says in the contract, you are not expected by law to leave the property in a better condition than when you moved in. Nor a worse condition.

    How you get it back to its original state of cleanliness is irrelevant. Pay for professional cleaners or do it yourself. Your choice, provided it is as it was at the start.

    So how clean was it when you moved in? Is there an inventory, with photographs, agreed/signed by yourself, detailing its state at the start? If not, how can the LL prove it is now dirtier than at the start? (the onus is on him to prove it's dirtier, not you to prove it's cleaner). And have you got photos of how you left it, just in case?
  • G_M wrote: »
    Whatever it says in the contract, you are not expected by law to leave the property in a better condition than when you moved in. Nor a worse condition.

    How you get it back to its original state of cleanliness is irrelevant. Pay for professional cleaners or do it yourself. Your choice, provided it is as it was at the start.

    So how clean was it when you moved in? Is there an inventory, with photographs, agreed/signed by yourself, detailing its state at the start? If not, how can the LL prove it is now dirtier than at the start? (the onus is on him to prove it's dirtier, not you to prove it's cleaner). And have you got photos of how you left it, just in case?

    Thanks, that's good to know.

    I foolishly didn't take any photos when I moved in, but I will take some just before we move out.

    I'm not intending on leaving it in a state, I just don't want to spend days getting it back to a better standard than it was when we moved in. I guess if I leave it as I was, he's unlikely to pursue us for cleaning bills.. touch wood..

    The gumtree ad he's just put up is worrying though, as it keeps mentioning how 'immaculate' the flat is...
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • sp1987
    sp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    Our last property we got in a state (professionally cleaned apparently, as if, lol). When we moved in there was a blocked toilet and 5 bags of rubbish around, (in addition to nothing actually being what I'd describe as clean, lol).

    When we left they tried to claim for the oven (they'd have tried to claim for the rest but it was so spotless they could not possibly have claimed anything needed cleaning, regardless of who did it). They lost their dispute claim as they had only given us an old independant inventory conducted 9 months previous to our occupation which even then stated everything was dirty. I could have 'cleaned' to the standard of 'dirty bathroom' according to that, and thrown some mould, limescale and mildew around, lol. Shame I didn't dirty it back down to the standard it was received to be honest. The oven looked like a dirty oven in a clean flat, whereas what I had to contractually hand back was a dirty oven in a dirty flat.

    I always think 'professional cleaning' is a foolish term regardless, as cleaning is not a profession. Anybody can set up as a cleaner, so there is never a guarantee it will be done reasonably, let alone as well as I'd be prepared to do it.

    I'd never make a point of doing an a'hole of a landlord or agent a favour again by leaving their property as I choose to live in it when it is cleaner than they provided it to me. Luckily the current ones seem nice so I won't have to distribute the contents of the vacuum bag back to the areas it was taken from when I moved in ;)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ah. Gumtree! That tells you a lot about the landlord!

    He might try to withold your deposit but as SP1987 so eloquently says, he'll be relying on you accepting his decision cos he'll have no chance in court or in arbitration.

    the deposit IS protected in a recognised scheme isn't it?
  • twirlypinky
    twirlypinky Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    I would just do it very thoroughly myself - i always have when i've moved out of somewhere (and fairly typically the place i move into is flithy. I couldn't unpack any boxes for a whole day when i moved into one place, in particular the kitchen and bathroom were gross).

    I cleaned the last flat so well the landlord asked which company I'd used so he could put them on his list, he was surprised to discover it was me!
    saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
    We're 29% of the way there...
  • claireac
    claireac Posts: 983 Forumite
    Do the cleaning yourself, it'll save you money in the long run!

    For the oven I recommend this stuff: http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/household-products/oven-pride-kitchen-cleaner/1019388/

    It's fabulous stuff!! I think I paid about £3.00 in Tesco, and my oven is sparkling, cleaner than when I moved in. Give it a good long time to soak in.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.