We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How much cleaning do I have to do before I move out??

Hi there,

I'm leaving my rented accomm in a couple of weeks. The landlord has asked that I have the place professionally cleaned.

However, our tenancy agreement only states that we have to return the flat to the same clean condition we received it in. Our LL said the place had been professionally cleaned before we moved in, but it definitely hadn't been (or it was a very slapdash 'professional' cleaner).

Obviously I'll do all the normal things like hoovering etc, and the inventory is full/no damage to the flat.

But, there sealant in the bathroom has gone mouldy (there are no windows, one weak extractor fan, I air it as much as I can but it's hard to keep free of damp), the oven and microwave are both quite dirty but they were like that when we moved in. The garden is a bit overgrown, but it's communal, and our tenancy agreement only mentions the garden where it says we can't remove plants.

Just trying to figure out how much work I have to do??
Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
AprGC:£/£320
«1

Comments

  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Did you have an inventory?

    Did you take photos before you moved in (bear this in mind for your next place)
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2010 at 11:51AM
    Try using a mould and mildew spray on the bathroom, if they had used the correct sealant (with mould inhibitor) it might not be such a problem.

    Maybe ask the landlord who they used for the cleaning so you can get a quote and see what comes back ;)

    I dont know who the onus is on to prove the condition of the property when you moved in but it would be wise to clean the carpets (and windows as this always looks good) you need to get the microwave and oven clean as I presume you have used these while youve been there, print off an invoice pay yourself £100 then its all been done by a "professional".
  • We have an inventory, but it doesn't say anything about how clean the flat is.

    We didn't take any photos, hmm.

    Our LL has used our deposit to pay our last period of rent (long story- but came to this mutual arangement). He's said that he'll bill us for anything he thinks need cleaning/replacing, but not sure how he can enforce it if we don't agree?

    Just want to work out what level of cleaniless he'll be expecting- is he likely to charge for dirty oven/mould in bathroom sealant?
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • To be perfectly honest you should have taken up a dirty oven and mould when you moved in if he was claiming it was professionally cleaned. I would say he is most certainly going to charge you for a dirty oven and general cleanliness if you haven't done it. I've never had a rental cleaned professionally but left it to a decent clean standard that nobody could argue with.

    Sounds like the deposit to pay your last rental is an informal agreement, he could change his mind and keep the deposit for damage and uncleanliness and then pursue you for payment of rent.

    R
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Spray the mould with this.

    75366HBO111111M.jpg

    Very effective in the short term.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,865 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    As a minimum you must clean it to a standard that you would find acceptable as if you were moving in.
  • nomnomnom
    nomnomnom Posts: 229 Forumite
    I just paid £89 for a full house clean on leaving my rented property. They did a very good job and even cleaned the oven which they said wasn't inc on their website. We used a Vax on the carpets ourselves though and would have done the cleaning as well but simply ran out of time. But if you were to do the work yourself, then as a bare minimum clean the oven/microwave. Skirting boards, radiators, sills, inside of window glass, frames, inside of kitchen cupboards & drawers, vacuum thoroughly, clean light switches, mop any hard floors, and the obvious stuff you'd do regularly anyway like cleaning bathroom/toilet and worksurfaces. Once you've done all that, why not show the LL and see if he still thinks a professional clean is necessary?
  • Gambit
    Gambit Posts: 584 Forumite
    I'm in a similar situation ~moneysavingnovice~ except our contract does state that the carpet should be 'professional cleaned' although I argued that this should be necessary and luckily my landlady agreed :j

    We too have a dirty oven but will not be cleaning it as it was broken when we moved it and didnt use it when it was fixed as it was so discusting and dirty and just carried on using the microwave oven she provided to us.

    In regards to the rest of the flat I'll be cleaning it as much as poss but at the end of the day the flat was a lot dirtier when we moved in and I took a video and photos of this in case she argues this when we move out.

    Good luck and hope you get out without any extra charges!! :)
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

    :xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    I would leave it as clean as you can and then not worry as unless you really annoy the landlord he is unlikely to come after you for any further charges. just remember that you may need him as a reference, though.
  • Thanks for all the replies!

    We won't need him as a reference as we're buying a place.

    I'll get that mould spray stuff. Luckily all wooden floors barred the bedroom (which is cream and grubby when we moved in). I really do not want to go near that disgusting oven, but maybe I'll have to...

    The thing is, the LL is moving someone in the eve we move out (he lives in Spain), which is probs why he's asking for a proff clean- would rather do it myself!!

    Will I get away with the garden?
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.