We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Mortgage non starter?
normalnigel_2
Posts: 4 Newbie
Hi all,
I have a very poor credit history which includes defaults and also going bankrupt in 08. What are the odds of being accepted for a mortgage? presumably a rent to buy type mortgage?
Also, I guess, if accepted it will be an expensive one based on high risk blah blah.....
I also have very little chance of saving a deposit!
apart from that - piece of cake!!
cheers
I have a very poor credit history which includes defaults and also going bankrupt in 08. What are the odds of being accepted for a mortgage? presumably a rent to buy type mortgage?
Also, I guess, if accepted it will be an expensive one based on high risk blah blah.....
I also have very little chance of saving a deposit!
apart from that - piece of cake!!
cheers
0
Comments
-
I'd say little/no chance.0
-
I'd start saving for a deposit for a few years before you put yourself through the stress of applying.0
-
If you cannot save a decent deposit then no chance. Save for a good few years to get a deposit together and then maybe your credit problems will be so far in the past nobody will be that bothered
R0 -
normalnigel wrote: »Hi all,
I have a very poor credit history which includes defaults and also going bankrupt in 08. What are the odds of being accepted for a mortgage? presumably a rent to buy type mortgage?
Also, I guess, if accepted it will be an expensive one based on high risk blah blah.....
I also have very little chance of saving a deposit!
apart from that - piece of cake!!
cheers
If you don't have a deposit you won't get a mortgage.0 -
LOL ok saw that coming.....
Thanks for the "advice" so far. However,
Lets say I CAN raise the deposit...does that change things? Lets say that the lenders aren't interested in history as long as I can basically borrow 100k plus for a house provided I pay them 10% (ish) up front for the pleasure.
Please do not reply if you cant manage to reach your keyboard without a soapbox. Thank you...........now there's a challenge.0 -
normalnigel wrote: »LOL ok saw that coming.....
Thanks for the "advice" so far. However,
Lets say I CAN raise the deposit...does that change things? Lets say that the lenders aren't interested in history as long as I can basically borrow 100k plus for a house provided I pay them 10% (ish) up front for the pleasure.
Please do not reply if you cant manage to reach your keyboard without a soapbox. Thank you...........now there's a challenge.
Well if the lenders weren't interested in your credit history then you might be ok.
The problem you'll have is all lenders will be interested in the credit history and it'll make it very difficult/impossible to get a mortgage in the current climate. Also, to get decent rates, you'd need more than 10% deposit anyway, even with a "clean" history.
Good luck though.0 -
If you had a windfall and came into money so you've got a deposit your chances probably rise from none to slim. But it still doesn't look good from a lenders point of view. You'll probably need to be showing signs that you are on the road to being a good credit risk - taking the right steps to improve your credit record. I suspect you'll also be in need of much more than 10% deposit before the banks will feel comfortable lending to you - at least until your defaults and bankruptcy are firmly in the past. (2008 sounds awfully recent in credit history terms)0
-
normalnigel wrote: »LOL ok saw that coming.....
Thanks for the "advice" so far. However,
Lets say I CAN raise the deposit...does that change things? Lets say that the lenders aren't interested in history as long as I can basically borrow 100k plus for a house provided I pay them 10% (ish) up front for the pleasure.
Please do not reply if you cant manage to reach your keyboard without a soapbox. Thank you...........now there's a challenge.
Not by borrowing it elsewhere I hope.:o0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards