We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Chickens being pecked

Options
jch1801
jch1801 Posts: 38 Forumite
I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please?

We keep four chickens, they have plenty of room in the run (4 to 5 metre square), have a hen house capable of housing eight and every afternoon are then let out to roam the paddock.

We have one chicken who is clearly the boss and is pecking the other chickens and it has got to the stage that the other three have large bald patches.

Is there something I can safely spray on the three that will not harm them or Amy the chicken that is doing the pecking?

A friend suggested hanging things in the run but that has not made any difference.

Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hence the term "pecking order". :)

How long have you had them? Is it something that will stop once Amy's established herself as boss?
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • jch1801
    Options
    We have had them for just over a year and unfortunately for the others she has been getting worse.

She is the only chicken never to have laid an egg, her comb has always been very pale.

They always have access to food and water, plenty of room and are generally very happy.

If has been suggested for the benefit of the others that Amy is either killed or found another home but I will not allow her to be killed and surely she would just do the same somewhere else?
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have the same problem, although my boss hen is a layer.

I was recommended this spray. You can shop around for it - this was the first link I found. It is absolutely evil stuff so make sure you wear old clothes that you won't care about should the horrible smell get on you.

I apply this approx once a month on the worst pecked bits and it has lessened quite a lot. I have tried other products which don't seem to make a difference.

Unfortunately, I am assuming your hens are rescued batts, mine are and apparently, they are particularly bad for pecking each other.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Do you know anyone else with chickens who might be prepared to risk a swap? She might not do the same elsewhere if she suddenly found herself at the bottom of the pecking order in an already-established set up?

As for not allowing her to be killed - surely the choice is between your perceived cruelty to her, or her perceived cruelty to the other three? She does sound like a bit of a liability, what with the lack of eggs and all.

I think I'd be peeling some veg... :whistle:

I've never kept chickens so I can't really help I'm afraid. :(
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • RuthMarianna
    RuthMarianna Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had this problem with one of our chickens being so badly pecked that we thought we would lose her as she was bleeding so badly. We used anti-pek spray everyday and it seems to have worked and the hen now has lovely new feathers. We did also hang up the leaves from a cauliflower for them to peck at and this may also have helped. Good luck.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    you could isolate thle culprit for a while in her own cage and with food and water. she still must be in sight of the others , so she is accepted back into chicken society. You also need to pick her up regularly and show her that you are even higher than her in the P.O.
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • snootyjim
    snootyjim Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    ljonski wrote: »
    You also need to pick her up regularly and show her that you are even higher than her in the P.O.

Or just peck her.
  • jch1801
    Options
    Thank you angelavdavis, I have just ordered some of the spray so will give that a go.

Mrbadexample, thank you for trying to help, however as a vegetarian what you are suggesting is not an option and hopefull the spray will work.
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jch1801 wrote: »
    Thank you angelavdavis, I have just ordered some of the spray so will give that a go.

Mrbadexample, thank you for trying to help, however as a vegetarian what you are suggesting is not an option and hopefull the spray will work.

Is an egg a vegetable?
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • jch1801
    Options
    ljonski - thank you for the advice. I will try the spray and if that does not work, separate her as suggested. We can pick up all the chickens and regularly do.

RuthMarianna - someone else had suggested the cabbages and we did give it a go but it did not seem to make too make difference but may be a good idea to combine the cabbages with spraying the others when the spray arrives so that Amy still has something to peck! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure