We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Where to live in Leeds
natzeh
Posts: 7 Forumite
Hey all. I'm moving to Leeds in October. I dont know anyone there and I dont know the area. I will be working in Leeds GI hospital and therefore need to be close to the Ring Road.
I need advice on the where to and where not to live if thats ok?? Oh and whilst your telling me that could you tell me ur fav bit of Leeds and why??? :rotfl:
Thanks :j
I need advice on the where to and where not to live if thats ok?? Oh and whilst your telling me that could you tell me ur fav bit of Leeds and why??? :rotfl:
Thanks :j
0
Comments
-
Youlooking to buy/rent? Whats your budget? House or flat? Town centre or outskirts?
There are quite a few new apartment blocks that have been built near the railway station which are only abot a 10min walk to LGI, but of course depends on your budget and what you are looking for..etc0 -
erm I guess 6 month rental to start with whilst i get a feel for the place. Upto 400 per month me thinks0
-
Well it depends what you are looking for, but I used to live in Horsforth and Adel and I loved them. Nice bars and restaurants, not too busy, near the ring road and a train and buses into town if you need them. From here it wasn't far to drive out to Otley and Ilkley and beyond at the weekends and enjoy the countryside, but near enough to Headingley, Chapel Allerton and town for going out. I don't really know South Leeds, so I can't comment about that. Hope you find somewhere lovely!0
-
I work in Leeds and I think a lot of my colleagues think the Northern bits are nicer. Stay away from Leeds Accommodation Bureau.0
-
Which Ring Road?
Inner one is under the Maternity Wing. Outer one is near Horsforth (NW anyway).
There are some very posh lets in the City Centre but I doubt if £400 would be doable. Look anyway.
If you are at the LGI, anywhere north of the river is a better bet; if there is transport chaos, there are very few roads over the river and they clog up badly.
learn about the Metro links, as a metro card provide very cheap transport.
You are walking distance from the Rail Station, so any of the rail routes are OK, just those to the East will be harder to get in if there is a cable theft. I would stick to the Burley/Headingley/Horsforth line (Harrogate) or the Skipton or Ilkley lines.
Headingley proper (away from the station) is a major student zone, late nights, !!!!!! students and vomitville, as the local resident keep reminding people. Also attracts lot of burglars. Avoid most of Burley, ditto but much poorer. There is however as decent area of little back to backs between Headingley station and Burley Road. Most people would advise avoiding Chapeltowmn but some people love it. Tends to attract a lot of recent migrants of different origins; currently heavily African and Polish on top of the older Irish and African Caribbean populations.
Bus wise, anything leaving the top of Briggate or Albion Street is minutes from the LGI and goes north to Headingley, Meanwood, Alwoodley, Chapel Allerton, Moortown, Roundhay etc. Pick a route with a 15 minute out of hours service.
Favourite food places. The Reliance, Little Tokyo, The Art Gallery cafe (round the corner from the LGI), Shabab, Hansa's, the market hall, the Corn exchange, Out of this World (fairtrade).
Also to add, there are weekend buses to the Dales (www.dalesbus.org) and to the coast - check out the Coastliner.If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing0 -
Thank you thats awesome! gives me something to work with. I am into socialising, bands,walking, meeting new ppl, food and stuff like that! I think it sounds like an awesome city - I cant wait :rotfl::rotfl:0
-
I have rented all over Leeds since coming to uni in 2003!
Headingley would be a good choice for you, except the road into town is chocker on a morning!! its a more sociable place but heaving with students during term time!! good bus link straight to the LGI tho! chapel allerton is still sociable and a lot nicer and they're improving the bus lane into town BUT you pay a lot more to live here!!
You might get something in the city centre for 400 a month (try the regent street area as its slightly cheaper) and you could walk to work in 10 mins!! if u have a car tho this wouldn't be a good choice as you probably wouldn't get parking!!
AVOID: Beeston, Middleton, East End Park, Seacroft, any where isnsouth Leeds generally, Armley, Bramley, Harehills.
NICEST: Moortown, Roundhay, some of Headingley, Horsforth, some of Kirkstall, Chapel Allerton
Hope this helps!0 -
Why not try Spareroom and just take a room until you find your feet? Lodgers don't have to give notice the same way that tenants do. For £400 a month you are looking at a bad area or just a room. You are not saying if you are prepared to share or you want a flat, nor how you intend to travel to work (car, bus, rail, on foot) so it's hard to give specific advice.Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️0
-
Yup, I recommend spare room or gumtree, and don 't be put off by South Leeds altogether, some of it is close to the town centre (walking distance) and not too bad at all - bigger properties for less money. I'm thinking mainly of Hunslet and Rothwell (farther out)0
-
Slightly confusing, both ring roads go around Leeds!
Depends what you want, but I would highly recommend living in the city centre, I loved it for the last couple of years! All the life and soul of Leeds (and your work) within walking distance. And you definately can find nice places for £400 pm. Check out the Northern Quarter (close for work!) or the opposite end of town overlooking the river! (Where I lived, very pretty and peaceful!)
If you are wanting a bit more sedateness then look futher out, hyde park, chapel allerton, headingley (certain areas!) are quite trendy.
I wouldn't rule out all of areas South and West leeds there are some nice areas around! But I would say not Harehills/Gipton/Halton Moor - personally I wouldnt live there!
As for Leeds in general - wicked music scene, bars, clubs, restaurants, shopping!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards