How to claim on old credit Cards

Options
Hi all..I am new on here and really could do with some guidance...
I was wondering how I could go about claiming back charges on credit cards I used to have as I am sure that I would have been charged..but do not have any of my information...would anyone be able to help me??

Comments

• pippitypip_2
    pippitypip_2 Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, you made it to the forums but missed all Martin's hard work on the way?! :D

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/credit-card-charges

Step 1. Find all your charges and add them up
    You need to find all the fines you’ve been charged by each credit card. You can go back six years in England and Wales or five years in Scotland; these time periods are limited by law. This includes late payment and ‘over the limit’ fees but not standard account fees or interest.
    What if I don’t have the details?
    Let’s be honest, how many people have all their bills going back six years? If you’ve online banking access, first see what’s available there, if not send a letter to your credit card company requesting a fully comprehensive list of all past charges. Some will send you the information if you phone to ask so you could try this first.
    Either way, you’ve a legal right to do this under the Data Protection Act. If you don't know where to write to, MoneySavers have compiled a list of data protection addresses which should help.
    Unfortunately card companies are legally allowed to charge for this info - the maximum amount is £10 - and card companies being card companies, they tend to charge the full amount. So to save time, enclose a cheque for a tenner in your letter.

Letter Template: Data Protection Request

The card company only has a maximum 40 days to respond. If you don’t hear anything back, follow up with a phone call and – if still getting a wall of silence - then report it to the Information Commissioner for a breach of rules.

hth,
    pippitypip
    I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok - they know me here! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills