Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Fresian's Final Push...Mooooving Towards Freedom

in Debt free diaries
1.5K replies 63K views
Hello People of the Internet!

For those of you who don't "know" me, I'm flying_fresian hellowave.gif I'm 29 and I live with Mr Fresian and our two cats in Edinburgh.cat.gifcat.gif

I first came to MSE in late 2008 when I had debts totalling £9,112.63 :o I had been thinking about a consolidation loan but luckily found this wonderful place and the PAD thread and the rest as they say is history. My previous threads are:

Flying Out Of Debt (Hopefully) This is an ickle diary!

Flying Gleefully Into 2009 - One Fresians Adventures In Debt-Busting

Mooooving Into 2010 - Bovine Adventures in Budgeteering

Frugal Fresian's 2010 Adventures In which our heroine tries (and fails) to live on £8,000 for the year.

So, I originally had debts of £9,112.63, and today I am lucky to say that the situation is a lot better. I have one loan at the moment, with a savings account into which I'm paying money every day to repay the loan early:

Outstanding Loan = £3,318.74
Savings = £1,338.26
Actual debt = £1,980.48

So, I have just under £2,000 left to pay on my loan. I have less than £100 outstanding on a credit card as well, which will be repaid this month when I receive my Quidco money. I promised myself a long time ago that I would be debt free by 30. I have 174 days to go until my birthday, which means I have to repay £11.40 per day. This won't happen every day, but I am going to get back into selling things on Ebay/Amazon. I am entering lots of competitions and am selling anything I win that I don't really want.

Being debt-free seems so close now that I wanted to set up another diary to try and maintain the motivation, as I have noticed myself becoming lazy again and spending money on things I don't need like lunches and clothes. This has to stop!

Feel free to join me on my bovine budgeteering adventures :D

cow.gif

Replies

• mooominmooomin Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Spends yesterday/today:

New shoes (New Look) £8
    New shoes (Irregular Choice....BAD FRESIAN) £45 I love them but I may well return them due to guilt
    £19.50 in Boots (Tights and hair dye)
    £8.47 on stationery in WH Smith. In my defence, Pukka pads were BOGOHP and I had a £5 voucher, meaning I saved £7.50 :o
    Lunch both days

I also bought a train ticket as I was working in Glasgow today, but that's fine because it's reclaimable.

So, you see what I mean about the impulsive buying :o This shall stop as of now. Honest. I'm going to confess here to make myself guilty too :D
  • Good luck!!!!
    Im not financially savvy as im still learning but i love to support anyone that needs it and give virual hug's and tea!!!
    Can't do Bickie's Sorry, need to lose weight!!!
    Challenge 1 : Sealed Pot Challenge, No : 810
    Challenge 2 : Dragon's wake up call
    Challenge 3 : Aug 8/15 NSD's
  • PrimulaPrimula Forumite
    953 Posts
    Definitely joining you on your final journey to debt-free-ness..........off to subscribe now
    13.7K Posts
    I've now gone through my coin jar and have got £17 of bagged coins ready for the bank tomorrow. That will go to the credit card I think.
  • shrimpy_80shrimpy_80 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Hello f_f, I am with you on the final push, I thought the last leg of the journey would be a breeze but it seems to be taking forever! I haven't really been too bad with the spending but I've lost my mojo a bit when it comes to extra money making. Will be popping in for virtual tea and a much needed poke in the right direction!
    Barclaycard [STRIKE]£7,296.35[/STRIKE] £6134.99 - MBNA [STRIKE]£4,182.88[/STRIKE] £3267.08 - O/draft [STRIKE]£569.31[/STRIKE] £413.59 - Capital One [STRIKE]£1477.55[/STRIKE] £1451.44
    Total debt [STRIKE]£12048.54[/STRIKE] £11267.10 6% paid
    13.7K Posts
    shrimpy_80 wrote: »
    Hello f_f, I am with you on the final push, I thought the last leg of the journey would be a breeze but it seems to be taking forever! I haven't really been too bad with the spending but I've lost my mojo a bit when it comes to extra money making. Will be popping in for virtual tea and a much needed poke in the right direction!
    I think that the end is the worst bit!

I'm trying to remember that at the moment I have rent money coming in from Mr Fresian's [STRIKE]evil[/STRIKE] sister, which is an extra £300 to blast the debt with. I also need to remember not to use this for fripperies, but for important debt-busting! I am going to spend some of it at the Edinburgh Fringe though :D
    13.7K Posts
    Received money from my last Amazon sale today, so that's £9.81 sent towards my debts. I have made a payment of £24.81 towards my credit card today, so that's going to be sitting at £64.94 by next week, which is very pleasing!

I'm going to have to buy lunch today as I don't have any bread in the house, but I think I might just have enough Advantage points to buy it from Boots. If not, I will head to Morrisons for a cheap sandwich as I'm bringing in my own bottled water at the moment thanks to my last Costco trip :A
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    82.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Happy new diary :grin:
    On the shoes I would say keep them & enjoy them & draw a line.
    Happy weekend :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • PrimulaPrimula Forumite
    953 Posts
    Yeah, I would agree with beanielou re the shoes, you've done amazingly well over the last couple of years and you are on track to be debt free by the time you're 30 which is b***** wonderful woman!
  • takataka Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Happy new diary f_f! :hello:
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals