What DFW Actions Have You Taken Today?

Evening all.

I am feeling quite positive today. I got a CC balance from Barclaycard showing me I am £1 in CREDIT! So I have written to them instructing them to either pay the £1 to the account which has been feeding them for the last 9 months...or send me a cheque! I have also intructed them to close the account too as the card has been destroyed.

The balance has been tarted to Tesco 0% but it still feels good when you close an account down/see a zero balance!

I am off to make a banana cake in a moment with 3 left over bananas (no!!? Really? Not guava fruit then?) rather than throw them out.

My BF gave me £10 back for some petrol I put in the car at the weekend which I wasn't really expecting as I was mostly driving it around! He also popped to Sainsburys to get some bits & bobs so I asked him to get 40 points put on the card from last week when I forgot my Nectar card....so I think we now have about 4000 points! :T (This is going to buy our food when we go on holiday to a little cottage in Cornwall :cool:)

I also had some money clear quickly from Amazon for a book sale last week - didn't expect that for ages.

I also did a Ciao survey...only 70p but it took about 5 minutes at work (tsk!) so who cares!

I am hoping I can find some more things to take action with tomorrow.

I hope you all have had a productive day/will have one tomorrow....tell me all about it if you have/do!
Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly

Comments

• kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Wow - that's a good lot of dfw things in one day Looking Ahead!!

Today I have applied for two jobs and bought two newspapers full of jobs to look through :) :j Can't save any money if there's none coming in, I figure!! :rotfl:
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • tsharp
    tsharp Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    I sent the odd balance of my current account to my CC debt. In other words, I have say, £73.50 in current account, so i send £3.50 to my CC, thus leaving a round figure of £70.00 in there, and a little bit chipped off my card debt. But of course if i do this religously i will have nowt in my current a/c, cos DDs and SOs and debit transactions are never for straight/round figures, but it's the thought that counts!;)
    "I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something."
  • Hoopylass
    Hoopylass Posts: 910 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    I cancelled my direct debit of £14.50 to the RCN and planning on joining Unison which is £11.50 and comes straight outta my wages :-).
    I got paid today so sent off all my payments to credit cards and payed electricity bill so just waiting on my common charge bill to come in and thats all my payments done! -)
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
  • clarkylou
    clarkylou Posts: 60 Forumite
    I have written my bank charges letter & paid my brother back the money I owed him. Also earned another £50 on Quidco by ordering a new mobile phone (for the business) which comes with 5 months half price rental, free 30GB Video Ipod! So Quidco balance up to £110 for this month....all for the christmas budget:j
    Lightbulb moment June 06 Total Debt. £16665.06 :eek:

Total Debt December 2006 £14,354:mad:
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cor blimey!

I wish I'd done anything remotely like you guys have! Well done you!

All I've done is work out the exact figure to ask flatmate for, inc her share of bills and money she owes me!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Oh and I got the money that my mum owed me - thats £90 to make my account look more healthy :D
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • tsharp
    tsharp Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    I just set paypal to tell me how much i had earned since 01/01/06 to present day: £67.46
    I did the same for the amount spent thru paypal: £32.20
    Meaning I am £35.26 in profit this year!
    "I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something."
  • Caught Martin's piece about equity release on The One Show and UNDERSTOOD what he was talking about :D
    Not sure if this actually counts as action so positive steps I have taken today are:
    posted premium bonds redemption - will use money to pay off highest interest rate card
    posted claim form for opening new AandL account - £50 each for me and for my mum plus money in my Quidco account towards Christmas
    posted 3 items sold on e bay
    cancelled the last direct debit magazine subscription
    queried my mobile bill with Vodaphone and got a £10 goodwill credit

I wouldn't have done any of these a few weeks ago - what an inspiration this site is: thanks
  • LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    All good stuff - thanks all for posting! I always feel inspired by other people's tales as well.

flowerofscotland....yes I can identify with what you say....when you have found this site, it helps you feel more confident about all things financial doesn't it?
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • I love this thread - it's inspiring and the thought of it makes me "good" when i am out and about!

Today I:
    *had the cheapes meal possible at my colleagues leaving do instead of indulging myself
    *rung my opticians and switched to my old, cheaper type of contact lens - come November this will be saving me £7 a month, not much but all something!
    * went into boots and gave myself a stern talking to about not needing anything, came out empty handed
    *didn't buy a paper, read MEtro instead for free (and the guardian site at work, naughty me!)
    * wouldn't let fiance take me out for a drinlk to cheer me up and stayed in instead.

So I'm trying!
    Grocery Challenge: target 400: so far spent 247
    Credit Card [STRIKE]3231[/STRIKE] 3218
    Overdraft [STRIKE]1215[/STRIKE] 1122.27
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business