PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting problems.....as well as some advice on council houses needed

Options

Comments

• titewad_2
    Options
    We're not a couple ;) my mum and I live here, and we need the three bedroom for foster caring, which the council are accepting.

Would the council not take this into account when they allocate you a property..
    As for the storing of your families' belongings,this is not really your responsibility or any prospective landlords,especially not a councils, so I would suggest telling the owners of the stuff that they need to find and pay for their own secure storage..
  • angeluk69_2
    Options
    If I were you I would tell friends/family/the neighbours dog to stop using your house as a storage area or maybe you could charge them for the space that you sooo desperately need, then you might be able to afford the rent.

89 pts is quite generous considering you don't need 4 bedrooms, it's people like you that make me mad... I have 2 kids(DS &DD age 5 and 2) they have to share a bedroom and we have hardly any space for them to play or do anything and yet we cannot get a council house and we have been on the list for nearly 5 yrs. People like you think 'how can we get cheap housing, ohI know...lets start fostering and then make out we are overcrowded!'

This sort of attitude absolutley appauls decent peopl like me and my family as we struggle everyday to be able to do what we can for our kids and still don't get the help that we truly need.

(sorry if my post upsets anyone apart from OP but I needed to voice my opinion)

Clear your house and downsize, be decent and respect the fact there are far more deserving people on council lists genuinely waiting for housing
    Proud to be me, proud to be who I am!!
  • Tassotti
    Tassotti Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    Options
    Harsh post angeluk69.

OPs thinking (according to you) 'hmmm..I really want a council house...I know, I will foster to get a house...That will be easy....

Hmmm..not so sure.

However, it does annoy me when tenants who are renting privately (and so obviously aren't top of any council waiting lists) are given 'advice' by the council to wait to be evicted as they then go to the top of the council list.

The council are just elevating the lack of housing problem by taking people who do not really need it!!!

Rant over
  • angeluk69_2
    Options
    Like I say apologies if anyone thinks my post was harsh, but that is exactly how I read the later posts.
    Proud to be me, proud to be who I am!!
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    i actually do know someone who is using "fostering" as a mean to getting a larger flat, and only intends doing it for a short while - i think it stinks.

Angela i am not saying you are doing this btw.

but, i do agree, get rid of this huge quantity of stuff, its only "stuff" and once its gone out of the door, you will have great difficulty remembering what it was.
  • S4311y
    S4311y Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you anymore angeluk, i too have a ds & dd aged 5 & 2 who have to share a room, and i have been on my local H.A list for over 5 years as well as others & have been told that we do not have enough points! Not to mention the fact that we are paying privately atm which was ok when we moved back here but now it isn't especially with my df not getting the last job he was on trial for & him being the chief income earner, although i too would now like to get back into work.
    To even put a post up like that is ridiculous & just goes to show how selfish & brainless some people really are!

And no i wont be appolagising for my opinion as it is exactly how i feel!

:mad:
  • S4311y
    S4311y Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Hey angeluk i have just read your post out loud to my better half & noticed that we are both in the same boat pretty much, even our children are the same ages/sex!

Had i have thought i could have saved me all that typing and just made the point of being similar to yourself lol. I dunno must have been a brunette moment :D
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can understand what it's like being in overcrowded housing, but there's no need for these nasty posts and the way you are putting it.

The OP posted because they can't afford where they live because 2 family members have moved out, also they can't afford to move. They are therefore presumably a low income family and are looking at their options. Which is fair enough.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey there

Would you approach your landlord and just say to them that you love where you live, you take good care of the property and want to be in it longterm and would they meet you half way over an increase. I did this with my landlord and he has kept my rent the same for 3 yrs now. I do things like pay for the window sills to be repainted, oil fire burner to be serviced and things like that. They may seem small but he really appreciates it.

The only other option other than moving to a smaller, cheaper place is to earm more income, or maybe put a statement of accounts onto the DFW forum and see if you could make any small savings

HTH
    Best of luck
    Cath
  • titewad_2
    Options
    Fran wrote:
    I can understand what it's like being in overcrowded housing, but there's no need for these nasty posts and the way you are putting it.

The OP posted because they can't afford where they live because 2 family members have moved out, also they can't afford to move. They are therefore presumably a low income family and are looking at their options. Which is fair enough.

They are not in overcrowded housing,in fact the opposite.
    What's upsetting some people is not the fact they are maybe a low income family,or that they can't afford to pay the rent with two family members having moved out.It's the fact that still require a property the same size so that they have bedrooms available to store the property of the two family members who have moved out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure